Struggling to leave Soda's

Options
Makkar86
Makkar86 Posts: 131 Member
Anyone else addicted to softdrinks or Soda's am finding it difficult to leave it

I have reduced it tho but can not cut it out !!!

Replies

• xbowhunter
    xbowhunter Posts: 985 Member
    edited February 16
    Options
    I drink carbonated water. It helps with the soda and beer cravings and zero calories!
  • sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,612 Member
    Options
    Makkar86 wrote: »
    Anyone else addicted to softdrinks or Soda's am finding it difficult to leave it

I have reduced it tho but can not cut it out !!!

I strongly recommend diet sodas. You will do yourself a world of good just switching to diet.
  • wm3796
    wm3796 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I used to drink a diet soda everyday and then switched to flavored no calorie carbonated water with only 1 diet soda on the weekend. Then after a few months stopped the diet soda completely. Sometimes not quitting cold turkey can be helpful in the long run. Just come up with a plan and stick to it
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
    Options
    Diet Pepsi for me for decades!!!

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 35+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • xbowhunter
    xbowhunter Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    The only thing I don't like about diet soda is the aspartame! Who knows what it does to humans.

Concerns about aspartame causing a number of health problems, including cancer, have been around for many years.

Some of the concerns about cancer stem from the results of studies in lab rats published by a group of Italian researchers in the late 2000s, which suggested aspartame might increase the risk of some blood-related cancers (leukemias and lymphomas) and other types of cancer. However, these studies had some limitations that made their results hard to interpret.

The results of epidemiologic studies (studies of groups of people) of possible links between aspartame and cancer (including blood-related cancers) have not been consistent for most cancers. Some studies have suggested a possible link, but others have not.
  • Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Reported.

Coke Zero >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Diet Pepsi.

Once upon a time I used to drink full sugar sodas. Now I can't touch them.

I limit myself to two cans per day of diet soda, one with lunch and one with dinner.
  • SafariGalNYC
    SafariGalNYC Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    I grew up on Coca Cola, then found Diet Coke in my 20s.. and now prefer sparkling water or flavored seltzers. Try a few options and see what’s satisfying. Is it the sweetness you like? Caffeine? Bubbly?
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    Give yourself some grace on this. It’s a very difficult thing to do. Diet soda can be helpful but not everyone can make the adjustment easily to the difference in taste. When I made the switch I had to ease myself in for a week drinking a mixture of half regular and half diet soda to adjust to the taste.

Now I only drink diet, but I’ve lately been trying to cut back on diet sodas too in favor of drinking more water. So I try to delay having my first diet soda by sipping on 16-32 ounces of water in the morning. Then I’ll have my caffeinated diet soda. After another 16-32 ounces of water I’ll typically have a decaffeinated diet soda in the evening.

As for the Diet Pepsi vs. Coke Zero discussion…. Dr. Pepper Zero is my fave. For decaffeinated choices I prefer Cherry Diet 7up or occasionally Diet A&W Root Beer
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,918 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Yep, drank that for a while, I don't drink any diet drinks anymore, the sweet taste still mucks with me.
  • chris_in_cal
    chris_in_cal Posts: 2,179 Member
    Options
    It is a noble endeavor, keep at it. Other than "Like" similar to how I "like" cotton candy when I go to a carnival, there is no value in soda.

Obviously we can thrive and be okay and drink it. And we can thrive be a little bit better by not drinking it.

I have gone through my own soda journey and all that's left for me is I have club soda mixed in when I drink alcohol. No flavor, or diet, or sugar.

I like where you have gone; first find what works for you and second work to reduce it as much as possible.
  • Melwillbehealthy
    Melwillbehealthy Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    Pop is my worst and most difficult addiction.(Diet Coke). I did manage to give it up once for a whole year, but it’s because I left the country and it was unavailable to me. I fantasized about BigGulps at 7-11 when I lived overseas.
    My son hates me drinking it because of the aspartame. However, it’s a treat that I look forward to. I wish I could stop it, but it’s helped me lose weight, so maybe it’s ok as it’s the lesser of two evils.
    I can’t drink a Big Gulp anymore. I think age has made me tolerate much less of it. I can drink about 1/2 of a child’s sized Diet Coke at a drive through restaurant. I drink it once daily, most days of the week. Sometimes I toss it after I buy it as it tastes bad to me. I’ve really cut down on the amount that I drink.
    I don’t know if this helps you. I believe you have to decide if pop is worth drinking. Consider your health and how it does fit into your lifestyle and plans for the future.
  • Corina1143
    Corina1143 Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    @Makkar86
    How are you doing? Have you tried any of the tricks, tips?
  • Makkar86
    Makkar86 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    @Corina1143 not 100%
    Using diet now let's see
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
    Options
    xbowhunter wrote: »
    The only thing I don't like about diet soda is the aspartame! Who knows what it does to humans.

Concerns about aspartame causing a number of health problems, including cancer, have been around for many years.

Some of the concerns about cancer stem from the results of studies in lab rats published by a group of Italian researchers in the late 2000s, which suggested aspartame might increase the risk of some blood-related cancers (leukemias and lymphomas) and other types of cancer. However, these studies had some limitations that made their results hard to interpret.

The results of epidemiologic studies (studies of groups of people) of possible links between aspartame and cancer (including blood-related cancers) have not been consistent for most cancers. Some studies have suggested a possible link, but others have not.
    The lab rats dosage was like a human drinking a couple cases of diet soda in a day. Here's a great thread written by a molecular scientist from the membership.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1308408/why-aspartame-isnt-scary/p1

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • swan57
    swan57 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Part of the craving to pop is the caffeine. I used to drink 10-12 diet cokes a day. I got really sick ended up spending over a year in hospital (alright now). While in hospital they did not have coke so I had to drink non caffeine drinks. So I had to go cold turkey and drank 7-up instead at first - once I got away from the caffeine I no longer craved the coke. I still drink 7-up 1-2 a day which is a lot better for me. I started out at 151 lbs and now i am 117lbs