How do you overcome a plateu?

Options
I used to eat 1200 calories a day. I increased it to 1300 recently but that hasn't affected my weight. I'm 5'7 and 150 lbs. I want to get down to 144ish but the scale won't budge. I workout for an hour and a half, 4x's a week. It's frustrating! How do I get the scale to go in the downward direction again?

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• AmykinsCatfood
    AmykinsCatfood Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    It's really hard to offer any food related advice since your diary is closed, but it sometimes takes a while for the body to adjust, especially if you upped by the 100 calories all of a sudden and not gradually. How many calories do you net? Do you eat back all your exercise cals, or at least half? I would suggest giving it a few more weeks of adjustment to see and if nothing changes I would take a look at your diary and see if there are any trends like not enough protein/fats, too many carbs, etc.
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Mcgrawhaha Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options
    you just have to work through it. give it a few weeks, i bet youll lose a "whoosh" of weight... when this happens to me, i go 2-3 weeks with no loss, then boom, one day i show a 3 pound loss!
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    reset your weight loss to lose only 0.5lb a week and eat back exercise calories

with only 6lb left to lose, you need to be really, really conservative with your deficit if you want to lose fat and only fat.

also, once you're in a healthy range for body fat percentage, many women see the changes in their body they want from doing weight training and eating more, rather than trying to lose more weight. Losing 6lb of scale weight won't change your apperance. However reducing your body fat percentage by a couple of percent probably will. change your focus from scale weight to body fat percentage.
  • xRiverX
    xRiverX Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    you just have to work through it. give it a few weeks, i bet youll lose a "whoosh" of weight... when this happens to me, i go 2-3 weeks with no loss, then boom, one day i show a 3 pound loss!

I agree.

great transformation pic btw
  • Khelben75
    Options
    I've gone through two plateaus this year. One lasted for about 3 months. I wasn't as diligent as you but I had much more weight to lose. Keep up the great work and it will continue to fall off again. It really does take time when you change your lifestyle so much. Changing up your exercise might not hurt but if you stay the course you will reach your goal.
  • beachgirl1793
    Options
    reset your weight loss to lose only 0.5lb a week and eat back exercise calories

with only 6lb left to lose, you need to be really, really conservative with your deficit if you want to lose fat and only fat.

^^this. I have about 6 lbs left to lose as well, and let me tell you it is HARD. It takes a lot of time and a lot of patience. Keep up your work out intensity and try to eat as cleanly as possible!