he7zreehwvjd.jpg
cqmei4idpndl.jpg
omjx8e6n9g3q.jpg
an6eqmvu7z8n.jpg
kyfvdsn0estt.jpg
mc5lebi5nty9.jpg
pucf1tdd030b.jpg
ku64biyn33hl.jpg
This was a very interesting post from Layne Norton, PHD on how menopause doesn't affect metabolism as much as we used to think

Replies

• sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    Jeebus, that's hard to read.

I agree. The biggest obstacle is between the ears.

😂 It's a lot, it's true. There was no other way to share it.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    edited February 19
    Options
    sollyn23l2 wrote: »
    Jeebus, that's hard to read.

I agree. The biggest obstacle is between the ears.

😂 It's a lot, it's true. There was no other way to share it.

I was very interested, but could not finish reading it in that format. I wanted to extract the text and post it here. I'm not a twitter user. I found the post but right now only see the first part, probably b/c I'm not signed in, which is because I do not have a login.

Maybe someone who IS a twitter user and is on desktop can get at the rest of it. (Please add the periods (".") he left out :smiley: .)

I recently got in trouble for saying that hormones & menopause don't really change what works for fat loss.

This led to a brigade of people & a popular influencer doc (who sells 'special' programs to menopausal women) to attack me.

I've been called insensitive, a misogynist, & told I can't speak on women's research since I'm a man.

I'm not a woman, but I can read research. So let's look at the data.
  • SafariGalNYC
    SafariGalNYC Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    Appreciated this post @sollyn23l2 - I keep seeing so many posts about how hard it is to lose weight in menopause, perimenopause etc etc etc and then I look to people who have done it and say… it can be done! Just get to work!

Some of the most amazing success stories I know of body transformations have happened to friends in their 50s and 60s!

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,172 Member
    Options
    Everyone's got their reason why it's hard, seems like . . . maybe a need to believe that their hard is really special hard.

It can turn into an excuse, a reason to give up, the personal "so hard" . . . no matter what it is.

Repeating a thing I believe, that I've said before: The only productive reason to think about obstacles is to figure out how to get over, around, through or otherwise past them. Any other attention to them is a waste of time and energy.

Yes, some obstacles are irremediable. (Menopause per se is mostly irremediable, unless one considers HRT remediation. I can't take HRT personally, so I dunno about that. But the effect of menopause on weight management is - IMO - minor at most. (Gasp!))

Sure is a lot of influencer/marketing nonsense around menopause nowadays, though: Must be lucrative. :D

I do like Layne, even when he makes me uncomfortable. ;)
  • SarahChadwick1970
    SarahChadwick1970 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have found it harder to lose weight while going through the menopause, I always eat healthy and exercise to keep my sugar levels stable (type 2 diabetic but not on meds) but have found extra fat around the middle has appeared due to HRT in the last 2 years, and struggling to lose it, even upping the exercise and cutting calorie intake. My friend found it easy but I just think we are all so different that hormones react differently with each of us.
  • sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    I have found it harder to lose weight while going through the menopause, I always eat healthy and exercise to keep my sugar levels stable (type 2 diabetic but not on meds) but have found extra fat around the middle has appeared due to HRT in the last 2 years, and struggling to lose it, even upping the exercise and cutting calorie intake. My friend found it easy but I just think we are all so different that hormones react differently with each of us.

As Layne pointed out, yes, it can absolutely be harder as we get older.