Magnesium, Calcium, and Sleep

Options
Maybe everyone else already knows this, but I didn't: Magnesium and calcium compete for absorption.

One of the common suggestions here to try for sleep is to supplement magnesium. I tried that, including trying multiple types of magnesium, without observable benefit.

More recently, I learned about the two minerals' potential to compete for absorption, so I started taking my calcium around lunchtime (needs to be separated from my AM thyroid hormones by a few hours), and my magnesium entirely in the evening shortly before bed. It's not revolutionarily more effective for sleep, but subjectively it seems like there's been modest improvement.

For what it's worth, it may be an experiment to try.

Replies

• roadie_jay
    roadie_jay Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I started taking Magnesium oxide after reading a study about Magnesium supplementation reducing inflammation markers - I have a fair bit of osteoarthritis. The Magnesium seemed to help. Later a doctor told me that Magnesium Citrate is 8 times more bioavailable than the oxide. The citrate is not as easy to find but I switched to it.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,170 Member
    Options
    Magnesium glycinate is the one usually recommended for sleep, but for a variety of reasons I take magnesium citrate. It hasn't been hard to find around here (mid-sized metro in central lower Michigan US), but I frequent health-food-ish stores which tend to have a huge range of supplements on the shelves.

@roadie_jay, have you found similar benefits for your joints from magnesium citrate, or is the jury still out?
  • Corina1143
    Corina1143 Posts: 2,928 Member
    edited February 27
    Options
    Heard that bisglycinate was better than glycinate, so bought an expensive bottle at the health food store cause that's the only one I could find. Nope. Back to glycinate for me.
    I took 800 mg/day oxide for a short time via Dr.'s instructions. Nope.
    Citrate is fine, but glycinate an hour before bedtime helps me fall asleep.
    Take other things, including calcium, at about noon.
  • shizelbs
    shizelbs Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    The glycinate component can also contribute to relaxation, thus promoting sleep.
  • Nihahi22
    Nihahi22 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Vitamin D aids in Magnesium absorption. I have found good results in taking Vit D with my nighttime Magnesium. fyi... glycinate and bisglycinate are identical compounds. There is no difference other than one is the proper chemical name and one is the common name.
  • Corina1143
    Corina1143 Posts: 2,928 Member
    Options
    Nihahi22 wrote: »
    Vitamin D aids in Magnesium absorption. I have found good results in taking Vit D with my nighttime Magnesium. fyi... glycinate and bisglycinate are identical compounds. There is no difference other than one is the proper chemical name and one is the common name.

And one costs 3x as much. Lol
  • BecomingMoreAwesome
    BecomingMoreAwesome Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Magnesium glycinate seems to help me sleep somewhat better, but for anyone thinking of giving it a go be aware—it gave me incredibly vivid dreams and nightmares for the first few nights. Poking around online I found that’s a fairly common thing.
  • BecomingMoreAwesome
    BecomingMoreAwesome Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    What do you like to read? How about audiobooks while out for walks? I love to stroll the nearby hiking trails while listening to books that I borrow for free from my library on Libby or (not free) buy on libro. If you want to make a game of it you can save a particularly engaging book or series so it’s only for while you’re exercising. This works in the gym, too.
  • mrsbrown322
    mrsbrown322 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    That is really interesting to know.. I used Ionic Magnesium in liquid for my cramps as it absorbs at speed of light .. but I bought one by mistake that was calcium and magnesium together in liquid .. so why are they selling it if it doesn’t absorb? It says on the bottle High bioavailability

Btw I tried Mag Glycinate for mine and my daughters sleep and did nothing for us
  • Zebra_Aitch
    Zebra_Aitch Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I’ve been prescribed a combined vit D and calcium tablet , as my results were so low ( I live uk and mostly housebound ) I take this on a morn as I read it was best time for vit D , and I take my thyroid meds at night ,
    I want to add magnesium into the mix but not sure about timings and type ( chronic constipation , so want to try magnesium for that as well as sleep , sorry if too much info 🤣)
    so thanks for great post /thread !
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    I’ve been prescribed a combined vit D and calcium tablet , as my results were so low ( I live uk and mostly housebound ) I take this on a morn as I read it was best time for vit D , and I take my thyroid meds at night ,
    I want to add magnesium into the mix but not sure about timings and type ( chronic constipation , so want to try magnesium for that as well as sleep , sorry if too much info 🤣)
    so thanks for great post /thread !

I tried taking 100 mg of magnesium glycinate for sleep. Running to the bathroom every 2 hours kept me awake, so it might help you!