Can I post a 2nd workout to my status?

Options
roadie_jay
roadie_jay Posts: 59 Member
I take a walk every day with my dog and it posts to my status where my friends can see it - today I did a bike ride workout later after our walk. The bike ride did not post to my status - is there a way for me to put the ride into a status update?

Best Answers

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,436 Member
    Answer ✓
    Options
    It's a little bit fraught (as in unpredictable).

Generally, I find that if I add both sessions to my diary one right after the other, and it's well before midnight, there's a message that reflects both, but not clearly. I forget the exact wording, but it only mentions one exercise by name but reports the total time. It's something like "burned XXX calories doing YYY minutes of cardio exercises, including "Name of One Exercise"".

I don't think I've ever seen it name both exercises specifically. I'm sure it's self-evident that you can comment on that status update, name the other exercise and say anything else you wish about it. I tend to get more response to updates like that when I comment on them in some way (not necessarily to name the 2nd exercise the MFP didn't mention).

Since my diary is open to MFP friends, anyone who wants to look at the diary can see exactly what the exercise(s) were and the time/calorie breakdown anyway.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,179 Member
    Answer ✓
    Options
    I’m seeing a bike ride yesterday and a bike ride today, both as separate exercises.

Wouldn’t hurt to double check the time zone in your profile and make sure it’s right, if you think things are applying to the wrong date. Or….. any possibility you crossed a time zone?

He's talking about the newsfeed updates, not the workouts themselves 🙂 multiple exercise sessions in the same day get combined into a single automatic newsfeed post.
    And I don't think you can change that.

The only possibility I see is manual posts (with or without disabling the automatic posts).
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,345 Member
    Answer ✓
    Options
    My experience is that my activities logged by my Garmin device sometimes don't update at all, even if it's the first activity of the day, unless I go to MFP, open the activity, and save it there. Sometimes it does auto-feed, sometimes I have to go to MFP and "accept" that it's real.

Then, if I do a second activity (like a walk or a bike ride after a run or a strength training session), it my or may not update the feed. If not, I can do like I did before. Then one of two things happens:
    1. It adds the time to my previous activity.
    2. It changes the activity to the new one and adds the times together.

The one that show up on the feed is the one I did longer.

I typically go back and add a second entry that actually describes what I did. When it auto-feeds that I did xx minutes of hiking cross country, I write up a little description of how far, where I was, and what I saw. I can also edit that if it adds the second activity. Pretty easy. I don't have many friends, and I'm fine with that. The few that I interact with often make a comment about it, and I figure the personal touch is a nice way to stay in touch with those folks I don't see here in Community.

I turned off some of the auto feeds. In maintenance, it's just silly when it says over and over and over that I "lost 0.x pounds and lost xx pounds so far" when it's the same little weight over and over. I weigh every day, so it just gets annoying. I don't close my diary either for a number of reasons, so that doesn't feed. I do feel sad for some of the friends who have an auto-feed that they "lost 5.2 pounds since last weigh-in and lost 0.3 pounds so far." These are people trying to lose but seem to be on the yo-yo.

Answers

• roadie_jay
    Options
    The second workout showed up the next day rolled up with the earlier walk. One of the other members told me that this is how MFP handles multiple workouts in the same day.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,606 Member
    edited February 21
    Options
    roadie_jay wrote: »
    The second workout showed up the next day rolled up with the earlier walk. One of the other members told me that this is how MFP handles multiple workouts in the same day.

Nope. Look at my (open) diary below. Apple Watch posts each separately, usually (but not always) in consecutive order.
    oa1bncuwbj1n.png

Did you finish the second workout on your watch? If you forget to press end, it’ll leave it hanging and won’t post it til the day is complete because it thinks you’re still working out. You can set it to buzz to remind you to close a workout. By the time I hang up leash, take off shoes and coat, and feed the dog his walking treat, I often forget to “end” walks, so the buzz is very helpful to me.

Also, you can hit sync to update faster if you’re experiencing a large lag time.
    q0orssckadsm.jpeg

Another kinda irritating thing about Apple Watch and MFP is it renames a lot of the workouts. Like my training session today, which I started a s “functional strength training” ends up on MFP as generic “Apple health workout”. if you do multiple workouts it can be confusing when you have several listed generically.

And the one final thing is, the dreaded Apple Watch calorie adjustment. If you don’t know what it is, lmk and I’ll explain. It takes a minute to do so. 😬
  • roadie_jay
    Options
    @springlering62 yesterday's bike ride showed up in my status combined with one of the walks - not sure if it was yesterday's or today's walk. It's confusing because then it looks like I did a bike ride fairly early this morning.
  • springlering62
    Options
    I’m seeing a bike ride yesterday and a bike ride today, both as separate exercises.

Wouldn’t hurt to double check the time zone in your profile and make sure it’s right, if you think things are applying to the wrong date. Or….. any possibility you crossed a time zone?
  • roadie_jay
    Options
    Maybe I'm confused - I am seeing the bike rides showing up in my exercise tab but I don't see the ride showing up in my status - maybe I'm just not looking at it right.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,179 Member
    Options
    This?

kz8o4gce58aq.png

Or a more recent ride?

Automatic newsfeed posts can be glitches, sometimes they fail. I sometimes post a manual update in the same format (I have a note app with an example sentence).
  • springlering62
    Options
    Oooooh. You mean your feed. I thought you meant your diary. 🤦🏻‍♀️

I have all that stuff turned off on my feed. I figure friends don’t need to know that I walked the dog umpteen times.
  • roadie_jay
    Options
    Lietchi wrote: »
    This?

kz8o4gce58aq.png

Or a more recent ride?

Automatic newsfeed posts can be glitches, sometimes they fail. I sometimes post a manual update in the same format (I have a note app with an example sentence).

The ride did show up the following day combined with my walk that day into a single entry. I just didn't understand how the process worked when you did two workouts - now I know :smile: