Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Where do i find the calorie calculator?

I need to figure out how many calories a day I should be eating to lose 2 lbs a week

Answers

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,283 Member
    edited February 21
    "Goals"

On your Home page go to Goals. Set your intentions. You may or may not be able to lose 2 pounds a week, though. If you don't have 40+ pounds to lose, don't expect to drop it fast. You will be given a calorie number to hit. Don't eat under that, it will be the number for weight loss. If you exercise, enter that into the "Exercise" page and then eat a bit more to account for that - it will calculate for you on the FOOD diary. Strive to hit "zero" on the bottom of the FOOD diary. Not under zero.

cfpqwo9vvrsi.png

• jennbreakiron
    jennbreakiron Posts: 6 Member
    I know to go to goals and put my calories in but how do i know it is the right amount I am supposed to be eating for my weight and and what it should be to lose?
  • cmriverside
    I know to go to goals and put my calories in but how do i know it is the right amount I am supposed to be eating for my weight and and what it should be to lose?

Did you look at the chart I posted?
  • cmriverside
    Other than not trying to lose too quickly, which that chart explains, part of this is trial and error.

Myfitnesspal is using an algorithm. It is based on accepted calorie recommendations. You have to run your own experiment. I know through long-term logging exactly what I need to be eating (within 100 or so calories.) The way I worked that out is to use myfitnesspal's numbers and then log everything and make adjustments. In my case, the site estimations are off by about 300-500 calories. I only know this because I ran the experiment for myself, like we all have to do.

Here is the official explanation of how the site calculates:
    https://support.myfitnesspal.com/hc/en-us/articles/360032625391-How-does-MyFitnessPal-calculate-my-initial-goals
  • COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,326 Member

What possible motivation would MFP have to lie to you? It’s math.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,823 Member

Ok, if you're female and MFP gives you 1200 calories per day to eat then chose a lower weightloss goal per week until you get a number that is higher than 1200 calories.

Ok, if you're male and MFP gives you 1500 calories per day to eat then chose a lower weightloss goal per week until you get a number that is higher than 1500 calories.

Simples.
  • eslteacheramy
    eslteacheramy Posts: 15 Member
    "Ok, if you're female and MFP gives you 1200 calories per day to eat then chose a lower weightloss goal per week until you get a number that is higher than 1200 calories."

^^This may not apply to you. If you are female and petite, 1200 may be required for you to lose weight. I am 5'1, 37 yrs old and to have a calorie deficit of 500 calories, I must eat 1200 calories if I want to lose weight at a reasonable rate. 1200 is not sustainable long-term, but for short women with only 20-30 lbs to lose, it is what you must stick to in order to lose just 1 pound a week.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,823 Member
    "Ok, if you're female and MFP gives you 1200 calories per day to eat then chose a lower weightloss goal per week until you get a number that is higher than 1200 calories."

^^This may not apply to you. If you are female and petite, 1200 may be required for you to lose weight. I am 5'1, 37 yrs old and to have a calorie deficit of 500 calories, I must eat 1200 calories if I want to lose weight at a reasonable rate. 1200 is not sustainable long-term, but for short women with only 20-30 lbs to lose, it is what you must stick to in order to lose just 1 pound a week.

Then lose half a pound per week. What's wrong with that it if it means you stick to it, get all the nutrition your body needs and you feel full and happy. TO has not provided any information but only said they want to lose at a very rapid rate that might not be appropriate for them. Nobody knows whether that's possible to start with.