1900-2000 kcal for a 80 Kg man?

Options
Hi, my current weight is 80 Kg 5.9-6.0 foot tall i'm in the progress of losing weight already lost about 12 Kg but now since and then it's getting more and more difficult apperantly i lose 0.25 Kg a week since i lost in 1 Month not even 2 Kg
So would it be bad when i dropped my kcal intake from 2200-2300 to 1900-200 kcal?

I go 5 times a week to the gym and wanna build muscles.

But i'm afraid that 1900 kcal could be too less and my body switches to a starvation mode i heard so much about.

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,923 Member
    Options
    Yeah, if you want to build muscle, then you want to keep it around maintenance as a minimum and lift hard. Your 176 lbs at 6' and I would suggest that your lean enough unless your skinny fat and even then I'd probably offer up the same advice. If your consuming enough protein and lifting hard then losing muscle is probably unlikely so not to worry about your metabolism slowing down.
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,628 Member
    Options
    First off starvation mode is a myth. You don’t have a lot of extra fat so probably what’s considered skinny fat. As mentioned, eat around maintenance and train properly and take in correct macronutrients
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,122 Member
    Options
    Lowering your calories further and building more muscle are contradictory goals. You have to choose what you find more important, but looking at your current weight I don't think faster weight loss should be your goal.
  • WernerZiegler1
    WernerZiegler1 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Alright i will eat around 1900 kcal then
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,923 Member
    Options

Ok, but that wasn't what we were alluding to. Anyway, good luck and let us know how it goes. :)
  • WernerZiegler1
    Options

Ok, but that wasn't what we were alluding to. Anyway, good luck and let us know how it goes. :)

But i wanna lose weight before build up muscles.
  • tomcustombuilder
    Options

But i wanna lose weight before build up muscles.
    You said you wanna build muscles so which is it? Pick one. At your height and weight there's a good chance that muscle gain would be more advantageous.

• cxxbkpwz54
    cxxbkpwz54 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    No one has even pointed out that muscle weighs more than fat, so if you’re building muscle then would hopefully stop losing weight at some point anyway
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,643 Member
    edited February 23
    Options
    Are you 5ft 9" or are you 6ft tall? You are either BMI 26 or BMI 23.9 based on your answer.

In any case... reducing your calories is NOT your answer.

You are either at normal weight or just above normal weight and losing about half a lb a week, so a 250 to 300 Cal deficit right now.

*IF* you have any extra fluff on you this is more than a good enough position to build extra muscle.

Right now where you're at. You don't need to "wait" for anything to have the best results possible

Increasing your loss rate today WOULD have you waiting to lose and then waiting to train and then waiting to see if you would overshoot your regain as a person who recently lost a lot of weight (never a great idea)

I know you've posted many times before so I am not sure if any of this is interesting to you in terms of your decision making.

But, if it is, the rational position for someone who has lost a lot of weight is to keep at maintenance without regaining for as long as possible. Bulking would not be a good idea unless you enjoy yo-yo dieting.

So very slow loss and hard training would probably be the best outcome for you.

Assuming that further loss is even necessary.

**I am concluding you are probably 5.9 ft as in 5ft 11" so closer to BMI 26. Which probably means you still have some fluff that makes the slow loss rate plus available fluff perfect to build up some muscle.

I would more worry about my training program than making changes to my eating program which at this point seems to be quite on point and more liable to screw up instead of improve if you tinker with it!
  • WernerZiegler1
    edited February 23
    Options
    How can i be at normal weight if i have so much fat and belly?
    As i said i would like to lose weight and fat without wasting time get lean and then start bulking
  • WernerZiegler1
    edited February 23
    Options
    @tomcustombuilder
    Yes i wanna build muscles sure but how if i have like 20% bodyfat?
    My original plan was to drop my Bodyfat to 10-12% and then start bulking

@PAV8888
    My scale tells me that my BMI is 25.1
  • tomcustombuilder
    Options
    @tomcustombuilder
    Yes i wanna build muscles sure but how if i have like 20% bodyfat?
    My original plan was to drop my Bodyfat to 10-12% and then start bulking

@PAV8888
    My scale tells me that my BMI is 25.1

Forget BF% as everyone carries it differently. The mirror is a better gauge.

At your stats, 10-12% you'd probly look too skinny. If you could post a pic you'd get more accurate responses.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,643 Member
    edited February 24
    Options
    20% body fat for a male is not an unexpected estimate for a BMI of 25.

The work you're going to do to build muscle is going to be the same regardless of when you do it. And regardless of when you do it it's going to take time. Lots of time especially if you want to maintain a high muscle tone for years

If you're not willing to do the work now (because you may get an incremental one or two or three or ten percent better result later) how do you even know that you're going to do it later?

What happens after an injury or life event or other interruption to your training schedule? Are you going to stop till the time is optimum before you start up again?

Maintaining a lower weight for someone who's been significantly overweight takes work. Maintaining a high degree of muscle mass for anyone takes lots of work.

At 20% body fat and a reasonable deficit you have no reason why you cannot build good muscles and a leaner body while doing exactly what you will do after you go down to a much lower weight.

Except that the weight loss will be a bit slower and the muscle building a little bit slower. In the old days before cutting and bulking was a big thing it used to be called getting into shape!

Your plan to go to a lower weight and then eat at a surplus is just about as bad a plan as you can get for somebody who started from a severely overweight position.

You're planning a weight yo-yo instead of planning for weight stability

Muscle building takes patience and work. Even if everything is not optimal. Especially if and when everything is not optimal..

And everything will not always be optimal during the rest of your life!

I hope you find success. Which to be honest will highly depend on the program you pick and on how successfully you end up executing it🤷‍♂️