small improvements really do add up - fitness edition

Options
zebasschick
zebasschick Posts: 909 Member
a few years ago, injury and reinjury kept me from most exercise. when i had slight improvements, i'd have pain, swelling and other issues. but over the last few years, i went from walking to riding an exercise bike on low resistance - just a few minutes, then a couple more. my resting heart rate got lower. my legs slowly got stronger. it took a couple of years.

then on cyber monday, i bought a walking pad. it's a tiny treadmill) with a fixed 7% incline. we put caps on the feet to adjust it to 5%, and i could do 10 minutes on it, sometimes only 8 before my ankle or knee would start to hurt and i'd have to stop. but over time, the supporting muscles have gradually grown stronger, and today i did 45 minutes at 5% - not fast, but it got my heart rate up and kept it up, and i sure did sweat.

sometimes you don't notice the tiny improvements from small workouts, but they really do add up!

Replies

• nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,086 Member
    Options
    Every little bit absolutely does count. It's the same with weightlifting. Increasing your lift by 1lb/0.5kg per week seems quite pathetic, but keep that up for a year and you're lifting more than 50lb/24kg more than the same time last year. Keep that up for two years...for three...
  • zebasschick
    zebasschick Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    nossmf wrote: »
    Every little bit absolutely does count. It's the same with weightlifting. Increasing your lift by 1lb/0.5kg per week seems quite pathetic, but keep that up for a year and you're lifting more than 50lb/24kg more than the same time last year. Keep that up for two years...for three...

that, too. i've been slowly adding 2 1/2 pounds at a time to my curls, and it's working. i'm about to add a little to my deadlifts, too.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!