Goal Steps & Base Goals

Options
Hello, I’m new to My FitnessPal, my goal steps is 10,000 steps and base goal is 1,410. What happens when my steps is 19,183 and the remaining calories is 1,173. Do I consume a total of 1,173 to lose weight? Am I reading this correctly? Please advise. Thank you.

Answers

• Kotkoda005
    Kotkoda005 Posts: 69 Member
    edited February 25
    Options
    From my understanding, that is correct. The calories calculated by MFP is what you should be eating to attain your goal. The number of calories will adjust according to activity.
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,338 Member
    Options
    You set up your goal based on non-exercise activity. That's your base calorie goal, and I think I understand yours is 1410.

It sounds like you have a fitness device that syncs with MFP. As you are more active, like by having steps, it adds "active calories" to your MFP allowance for the day. If your activities are greater than the level you set up in the setup phase, it will start increasing your calorie goal because it takes energy to move your body. If your base goal is 1410 and your remaining calories is 1173, you must have eaten some food - at least 237 calories, and maybe more if some got added back from activity.

Your base goal includes a deficit that is appropriate for you, so yes - eat the remaining calories. Track them!