Non Fat Snack Ideas

Options
I've got 438 calories left to spend but hit the limit on fat... trying to figure out what to do about my rumbling stomach, it wants cheese enchiladas.... LOL

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,170 Member
    Options
    It's fine to go over your fat goal, within calories. For weight loss, it doesn't directly matter whether the calories come from fats, protein, or carbs. Those things matter for nutrition and health, and most of us want to be healthy, not just thin, right? (Nutrition can affect weight loss indirectly through fatigue (move less) or appetite (eat over calorie goal), but the direct effect is still via calories).

Even for nutrition, it's OK to go over your fat goal. There's a caveat, though: Fats and protein contain "essential nutrients" in the sense that our bodies can't make those nutrients out of any other food intake, so we have to eat some. If going over on fat means being under on protein to stay within calories . . . that's maybe OK now and then, but if it's a pattern, it would be a good plan to work on getting adequate protein most of the time, too. (Carbohydrates are more flexible. Our bodies can manufacture carbohydrate-equivalents.)

Personally, I think of fat and protein goals as minimums, and use carbs to make calories balance, loosely speaking.

If you're stressed about this in the short run, do a web search for "macro cheat sheet" or "what to eat for macros" and look at the images especially. That may help you figure out a snack that sounds good to you, and helps you hit nutrition goals. The one below is an example from a random web site (ownyoureating), but I'm not particularly endorsing that site (I know nothing about it). It's all kind of straightforward information; the sites may differ a little, but they'll have a lot of overlap. It's just a guide, not a prescription/proscription.

zxvrk32sj5o5.jpg

I hear you on the cheese enchilada issue, though. ;)