Help figuring out calories burned

I just started out and I really like keeping track of my calories and I think I'm doing that pretty well. I'm a stickler for accuracy. I want to make sure I'm doing it right! So when I exercise, how can I make sure to get the CORRECT number of calories burned during exercise? Does anybody have any tricks or tips that work for them?

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,420 MFP Moderator
    Heart rate monitor for intense cardio or you can get a body media if you want to see calories burnt over 24 hours.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    HRM are good for cardio but not weights or circut training.

I have used the MFP database and have consistently lost weight so they can't be too off.
  • chelledawg14
    chelledawg14 Posts: 509 Member
    HRM for any and all my cardio. I lost 54 lbs using it last year; this year I got a fitbit and I love it, and I love how it syncs and adjusts with MFP input, but I'm not having as much success using it. I need to use my HRM more often (it's a polar ft4).
  • midwestmixtape
    midwestmixtape Posts: 66 Member
    I use a bodymedia, and because it is ~90% accurate for most things (excluding cycling, stick it to your calf for that), I try to stay 200 calories BELOW my limit. I have had no problems losing so far!
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    I use mpf calculations and compare them to the cardio machines, when I use them. It is important to make sure that you enter your correct age and weight. Update your weight with mpf regularly, too, and use the BMR app when updating. I get similar results this way, when comparing mpf database, cardio machine estimates, and running ahead website calculator. HRM and body media devices are probably more accurate, but I haven't needed to spend the money on one. MPF has worked great for me, still losing:)