How do I find out what my goal should be?

Options
Hi all

I originally hoping MFP years ago and from what I remember - I put my weight and height in etc and it set my calories for me so that I could lose.
I’ve since then tweaked my goals. Signed up to team rh which gave me loads of daily cals. Then packed that in. Then reset my daily goal to 1300 cals.
But not sure if it needs to be lower. Is there a way to get MfP to reset it ?

Answers

• Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,114 Member
    Options
    Just go through your goal set-up again and you'll see what MFP recommends. Try to choose a reasonable weight loss rate though - if you get 1200 calories as a recommendation, you've probably chosen a weight loss rate that is too aggressive. Another guideline is: choose a rate between 0.5-1% of your bodyweight per week.
  • anniewillo
    anniewillo Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the reply :-)
    I’ve just worked out how to reset my goal.
    Would you be able to explain the last bit to me tho? (Sorry, I know it sounds a bit thick lol)
    About the percentage of the body weight? Can you give me a rough example ?(sorry. Just not understanding what you mean ) x
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,114 Member
    Options
    To give an example:

Let's say you weigh 200lbs -> the recommended range of weight loss would be between 1 and 2 lbs per week. So in the goal settings 1, 1.5 and 2lbs per week would be valid choices.
    If you weigh 150lbs, 0.75 to 1.5lbs per week would be appropriate.

Personally, I recommend the slower end of the range (=more food 😄 and more time to learn good habits and find a sustainable way of eating).
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,953 Member
    Options
    I think the following will help. This question gets asked so frequently, that a member here come up with this handy chart:

cfpqwo9vvrsi.png