Spaghetti

Options
Whats the best way to measure a serving size of this stuff?? And it is wheat pasta soooo its goood for u. right now i just eyeball it from the box if it says it serves 7 then i try to pull out 1/7 of the amt in the box i dont know what else will work to get a more accurate serving size any suggestions? lol darn

Replies

• carola_818
    Options
    i got this off of www.whatscookingamerica.net

Most dried pasta doubles in volume when cooked. For accuracy, measure pasta by weight rather than by cup. Cooked pasta can be measured by volume. The general rule is one pound of dry pasta or freshly made pasta will serve six as an appetizer or four as a main course. Remember - Shapes may vary in size according to the manufacturer, so use these measurements as generalizations.

The easiest way to measure pasta is to use your digital scale.

4 ounces of uncooked pasta (elbow macaroni, shells, rotini, cavatelli, wheels, penne, or ziti) = 1 cup dried pasta = 2 1/2 cups cooked pasta.

4 ounces of uncooked pasta (spaghetti, angel hair, vermicelli, fettuccine or linguine) = a 1-inch diameter bunch of dry pasta = 2 cups cooked pasta.
  • BetterVersion
    Options
    I've often read that the rule to spaghetti is 2oz dry equals 4oz cooked. I did it this way for awhile in the beginning, and then I got a little experimental. I started cooking my 2oz of dry seperately from the rest, and when I measured it found it was closer to six ounces! I was totally getting ripped off before! lmao :)

Anywho, it seems like a pain, but it's really not too much trouble to put another pot on the stove and cook your portion seperately. That's the only way I do it anymore.
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    There is always the option of guessing the amount dry, then cook it. Take out your portion for that meal and put the remainder in the fridge or freezer. Lightly sprinkle olive oil on the still warm excess noodles and toss it to keep the noodles from lumping up. When cool pop them into a ziplock bag or other airtight container and they are ready to go for the next time. My boyfriend loves his italian food and I usually have stuff in the freezer he can nuke at work. I put some sauce in the bottom 3rd of a serving size container and freeze it overnight. I then top it off with the excess cold noodles from the fridge, seal it up and put the container back in the freezer.... good to go. That works for my meals too!
  • mekhala
    mekhala Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    i just used digital scales - and put it in as dry weight, i have a healthy appetite so usually do 100g dry weight per person eating. x
  • mekhala
    mekhala Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    good tip Ms Bug, I didnt know you could freeze cooked pasta!! will definatly bbe trying that!!