Weight loss

Options
Why is it that I have yet to lose weight? I have been working out since November and thought I would see a little something. I have noticed strength, muscles are becoming defined. My weight does fluctuates. But no actual weight loss. I might be over active with the scale, because I swear it’s wrong.

Answers

• mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,226 Member
    Options
    Why is it that I have yet to lose weight? I have been working out since November and thought I would see a little something. I have noticed strength, muscles are becoming defined. My weight does fluctuates. But no actual weight loss. I might be over active with the scale, because I swear it’s wrong.

Are you logging your food? Are you using a scale? Are you in deficit?

Weight loss happens in the kitchen, not the gym.

Keep working out. It's good to be fit. But just working out won't cause fat loss unless there's a calorie deficit.
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,618 Member
    Options
    working out doesn’t burn that many calories in comparison to your daily activities so don’t rely on it for weightloss. It HELPS somewhat however your weekly calorie intake will determine if you lose or not.

• PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,624 Member
    edited February 27
    Options
    Keep up with the muscles and exercise. It's good for you.

Not sure what your starting point is, I e. whether weight reduction is a health improvement; but, if a valid goal, as people have mentioned, it is not surprising that you're not losing weight if you are not successfully managing your calories in!

It would be the default to assume that absent a management plan that is successfully implemented and assuming food (or any other form of calories) are available for consumption (i.e. not a drought or famine or war or uber food outage)....well ... we will "naturally" choose to consume sufficient calories to at the very least maintain our current weight level.... (and probably more than that in most cases)
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,127 Member
    Options

I trained pretty hard and even competed as an athlete, eating mostly healthy foods, for about a dozen years, got stronger/firmer and even a bit smaller in tape-measurements and clothing size . . . but stayed overweight/obese, pretty constant weight the whole time.

I didn't lose weight until I found the right calorie level, and took steps to stick with it on average the overwhelming majority of the time.

If you've been working out since November, you would have seen at least modest weight loss if your calorie intake were below the number of calories you're burning. The inescapable conclusion, after that long a time, is that you're eating maintenance calories. The right move, if you want to lose weight, would be to eat less (in calorie terms).

That worked like magic for me, without materially changing the amount of exercise I'd done for that previous dozen years. I've been at a healthy weight for nearly 8 years since loss, after around 30 previous years of overweight/obesity (including that dozen athletically active years at the end). I'm still doing about the same amount of exercise, but still eating fewer calories than I did when I was fat. It's practical magic! ;)

Best wishes!
  • 5jr7jtg6bv
    5jr7jtg6bv Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Your question sounds like I wrote it!😂. I have been tracking for months, doing weight training etc. now I will take my calories and deficit by 300-400 each day and balancing macros percentages- Hope I see changes!!!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,900 Member
    Options
    There are mistakes that people commonly make that cause them to not lose weight that we might be able to spot if you change your Diary Sharing settings to Public. In the app, go to Settings > Diary Setting > Diary Sharing > and check Public. Desktop: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings