What is the fastest way to drop pounds?

Options
I need to lose weight in order to get surgery...what is the fastest way..

Answers

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,913 Member
    Options
    I know many Doctors put their patients on a medically supervised VLCD (very low calorie diet). Did your Surgeon recommend an strategy at all?
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,226 Member
    Options
    Fast is bad. Go slow. Get into a sustainable calorie deficit. That's the way.
  • Tiffaleafit4life
    Tiffaleafit4life Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I can tell you what I know of some people doing. It works and it’s satisfying enough to make you to full and happy to want junk food. Eat the meat and fruit diet (look up on instagram if you need reference point), Only drink water as a beverage and add lemon if desired, Take apple cider vinegar capsules, Do intermittent fasting, enter your calories here on MyFitnessPal according to your specific deficit needs, all these plus strength train 3 days a week and walk 30 minutes a day. If you do all these things at the same time and stay consistent you will lose weight. You won’t need weight loss surgery. Don’t eat anything that isn’t real food and as unprocessed as possible. Expect it to be a little hard at first as your body adjusts to an extreme diet change and just hang in there. We were meant to eat real food and enjoy it. You’re going to need to take food with you sometimes. It can be done. Keep it simple.
  • Tiffaleafit4life
    Tiffaleafit4life Posts: 3 Member
    edited February 27
    Options
    Oh yeah, and drop the idea that weight loss can or should be quick and easy. You didn’t gain it overnight, so it isn’t going to go away that fast nor should you try to lose it like that unless you want to be saggy and floppy. It’s going to take months of consistency and they could turn into years be years depending on you desired results… with or without surgery you are looking for at a timeline for major changes to take place. Working on your discipline is key. Just keep going.
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,618 Member
    Options
    Generally rapid fatloss is not recommended however there are exceptions and yours may be one, provided the surgery is of utmost importance and that surgery is more important than a temporary aggressive diet.
  • LiveOnceBeHappy
    LiveOnceBeHappy Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I can tell you what I know of some people doing. It works and it’s satisfying enough to make you to full and happy to want junk food. Eat the meat and fruit diet (look up on instagram if you need reference point), Only drink water as a beverage and add lemon if desired, Take apple cider vinegar capsules, Do intermittent fasting, enter your calories here on MyFitnessPal according to your specific deficit needs, all these plus strength train 3 days a week and walk 30 minutes a day. If you do all these things at the same time and stay consistent you will lose weight. You won’t need weight loss surgery. Don’t eat anything that isn’t real food and as unprocessed as possible. Expect it to be a little hard at first as your body adjusts to an extreme diet change and just hang in there. We were meant to eat real food and enjoy it. You’re going to need to take food with you sometimes. It can be done. Keep it simple.

what do apple cider vinegar capsules do for weight loss?
  • Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    To get the surgery, how much weight to lose, from what starting point, and how long to do it?

Because if it's very short term, you can try to lose some water weight leading up to the deadline. Bodybuilders do it. It's not fat obviously, just water. Perhaps a strict diet and additional walking if possible starting from now, then as you get closer to the deadline go on a temporary deeper cut and try to lose some water weight.
  • chris_in_cal
    chris_in_cal Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    I need to lose weight in order to get surgery...what is the fastest way..
    Amputation.

(An unhelpful tongue in cheek answer to a leading, unformed, and unanswerable question.)

Boxers/wrestlers/weightlifters are the experts in managing discreet amounts of body weight....but putting that onto an unhealthy person ( my assumption) facing surgery, is wrong.
  • claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,338 Member
    Options

what do apple cider vinegar capsules do for weight loss?

Give you really bad indigestion so that you can’t eat? Drain your wallet so that you can’t buy food?
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,130 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry you're getting so much snark here, OP. That (snark) would be appropriate for a normal weight loss scenario, where fast loss is usually a really bad plan. Among other possible problems, fast loss increases health risks.

If you have health-critical surgery on your agenda, and fast loss for that is a lower risk than deferring the surgery, then your case is different.

I think Tom is on the right track here: Ask for guidance from your doctor, maybe a referral to a registered dietitian, if this is a multi-week enterprise. It would be good to have some medical supervision to look out for deficiencies or complications.

I'm guessing, but the likely general answer would be a low calorie diet that is as nutrient-dense as possible, and high in protein (unless you have pre-existing kidney compromises). In a case like this, carbs are most likely to be the easiest thing to cut (not an essential nutrient), but it would IMO be useful to keep as many lower-carb veggies in the picture as possible. It will be challenging, and require strong commitment.

But a registered dietitian would give you better advice. Can you access one?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,900 Member
    Options
    Yes, ask your doctor for a referral to a registered dietitian.