The New FitBit connection method

Options
This post shows a new way of integrating MFP data into FitBit. I don't currently have MFP connected to FitBit. I'm wondering what is the difference between this new method and using the FitBit app from MFP here.
Tagged:

Answers

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,726 Member
    Options
    I don't see where there's a notable difference on the MFP side, more like more data on the Fitbit side. Probably it would be necessary to take some connecting steps on both sides, though that's not entirely clear from the links you posted.

If you don't get any well-informed answers (which mine isn't) from this post, you might try joining the MFP Fitbit group and asking there:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1290-fitbit-users

Best wishes!
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,867 Member
    edited February 28
    Options
    keith_uk wrote: »
    This post shows a new way of integrating MFP data into FitBit. I don't currently have MFP connected to FitBit. I'm wondering what is the difference between this new method and using the FitBit app from MFP here.

I don't understand your question?

Your first post says that you will be able to receive nutritional data from MFP via HealthConnect on your Fitbit.

The existing integration already allows you to see MFP nutritional data on your Fitbit.

This is of "varying" degree of interest if you make changes to your logged values after they've transferred over as it used to be fun to see multiple entries accumulate due to a bug when changing a "meal" once the information had already transmitted once.

That said... do you care that you can receive your nutritional data from MFP onto your Fitbit app?

I can't say that I did while logging my food on MFP and my activity and exercise on Fitbit. Or that I do now while logging my food on another app and my activity and exercise on Fitbit.

If I were logging everything on Fitbit and using it as my decision point on what / how much I would eat I might care... but then why would I not log my food directly on Fitbit (you can you know) totally ignoring any other app?

I tend to use the food logging app for logging food and figuring out how many calories I can still eat. And fitbit for the automated logging of activity and exercise or even for the manual logging of exercise--i.e. for how many calories I can spend.

But for whatever reason I am used to using the "food logging app" to see how much more "room" I have available... so the fact that fitbit received my meals is of low interest.

If you want to use fitbit for both, as mentioned, why not log directly there?

*for fitbit premium users and long term retention or ability to export info etc there may be benefits to having all the info sitting on Fitbit but data clean up may be required.