Having a hard time consuming the needed calories

Options
For a few years(even before this app, and weight loss adventure), I always had a hard time consuming 1200-1600 calories, unless I went to mcds or so. But even then, it’s too much for my stomach. I want to lose weight, I want to be and feel better, but it’s really hard. I can’t eat gluten as much as it kills my insides and same with certain veggies and all nuts, but I’ve been trying to eat breakfast, lunch and dinner. I don’t know if it’s my own issue, but I’m trying. I’ve also tried vegan protein shakes(because whey ones kill me and make me vomit). Any suggestions? Should I do more portions than what people say? Any help is good, with a strict FODMAP diet understanding. Thanks.

Replies

• PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,624 Member
    Options
    At some point of time, intentionally or not, you must have been ingesting and retaining the energy from enough things that in total they exceed what you've got to take in to lose.

I'm not saying you may not want to move away from suboptimal choices such as random examples gluten-free chocolate cake or vodka coolers or sour candy (the last one being a favorite).

And I'm sure that people may be able to suggest nutrition that matches your needs better than before.

But one easy way to start is just limiting the quantities of whatever you've been in taking to gain the weight in the first place.... without necessarily changing everything.

In terms of suggestions for foods, I am hearing lactose intolerance and gluten concerns? What other restrictions are you operating under? Also and always: how much weight do you have to lose/what is the starting point...

Take care and best of luck!
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,911 Member
    Options
    You may be a good candidate to try a carnivore diet, which is the ultimate elimination diet for 30-60 days and see how that effects your immune and digestion system. Please research it first though, just don't jump into it. A fodmap is a good introduction to elimination diets, also ketogenic diets are a decent route, worked for me but the carnivore seems to work the best from what I've seen. Just a suggestion.
  • ddsb1111
    ddsb1111 Posts: 739 Member
    edited February 29
    Options
    Honestly, you need to work with your doctor and monitor your FODMAP diet with them. You may have a medical condition. I’m not sure how you wouldn’t have a medical condition with the symptoms you’re experiencing.

Only you can know the extent to which these are extreme or minor issues. An example of a minor issue- If I cut out sugar on my own and one day consumed a large quantity then I wouldn’t feel good for a while (1-3 days even), but this doesn’t mean I can’t tolerate sugar.

Since we can’t know if the cause of your problems is medical or how you’re choosing to eat, you likely need to figure that out first. If I had your symptoms I would be working with a medical team and wouldn’t stop until we figured it out. I’m so sorry you’re experiencing this.

ETA- it looks like we went through this with you last Aug where you received great advice. Have you proceeded with any of the recommendations? How is that going?