Protein Questions

Options
I've been thinking about starting a Protein shake lately as I have heard it will help with weight loss. MFP puts my daily protein goal at 45, however I usually average around 65 simply because I eat a lot of egg whites, chicken and beef. The large majority of my protein intake usually happens around breakfast time, on an average day.

My questions are: would a shake help me in my weight loss? Could I take in too much protein? Obviously I'd enjoy a shake in lue of eating breakfast unless I needed something more to eat, but should I add another later in the day in addition to my regular meals? What suggestions could people make for me as to brands or what I should look for in one?

I should also mention that while my daily life is rather sedentary I do try to get at least 5 2-mile walks/jogs a week and have been working on some strength exercises at home ie: squats, sit ups, weight lifting type stuff. So clearly I don't mind helping muscle build up either. :-)

Thank you!!!!

Replies

• RuthWorth
    RuthWorth Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I have tried the Shakes and they did nothing for me. You get better proten from chicken than any other meat source
  • beutiful5678
    beutiful5678 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I've heard that protein shakes are awful for you. Try Greek yogurt instead. Just throw some in the blender with some berries and you've got yourself and delicious breakfast!
  • acstein
    acstein Posts: 55
    Options
    It may help with weightloss however, I found the opposite. I gained weight. However, that could have been due to many things, and that was prior to me joining MFP. http://www.healthcalculators.org/calculators/protein.asp this website takes into account approximate activity level including exercise. One of the trainers that goes into the gym I use said that you can have too much protein, but it takes an awful lot to do that. Be more aware of when you use it. Protein is best used within 45 minutes after exercise. It feeds the muscles for building as it used the protein rather than itself. Anytime after that, you might as well not worry about adding the extra protein as it is a waste of calories. Also, Whey protein is lower in calories. I used the Biochem (generic) brand of the whey protein, the natural flavor, and added a Crystal Light to go packet so it didn't taste gross and it only added 90 calories and 20g of protein (80 from the protein and 10 from the crystal light). The flavored kinds increased the calories more than the crystal light and still tasted gross to me. Some people love it. I hope this helps!!
  • Scncartist
    Scncartist Posts: 173
    Options
    It may help with weightloss however, I found the opposite. I gained weight. However, that could have been due to many things, and that was prior to me joining MFP. http://www.healthcalculators.org/calculators/protein.asp this website takes into account approximate activity level including exercise. One of the trainers that goes into the gym I use said that you can have too much protein, but it takes an awful lot to do that. Be more aware of when you use it. Protein is best used within 45 minutes after exercise. It feeds the muscles for building as it used the protein rather than itself. Anytime after that, you might as well not worry about adding the extra protein as it is a waste of calories. Also, Whey protein is lower in calories. I used the Biochem (generic) brand of the whey protein, the natural flavor, and added a Crystal Light to go packet so it didn't taste gross and it only added 90 calories and 20g of protein (80 from the protein and 10 from the crystal light). The flavored kinds increased the calories more than the crystal light and still tasted gross to me. Some people love it. I hope this helps!!

Thats really an interesting site! According to it I need about 74 grams of protein, almost twice of what MFP suggest! I don't get quite that much in my diet.

And yes, I do love my greek yogurt, thats for that suggestion @beutiful> :-)
  • Scncartist
    Options
    Don't know why it double posted. :-(
  • acstein
    Options
    I'll see my trainer again on either Thursday (if she can fit us in her schedule to make up a day) or on Tuesday for sure (as that's our normal scheduled day) and see what she says. She's a supporter of protein, but we are also in the gym 5 days a week, so I'll see if there are rules for protein versus exercise versus type of exercise and all that mess.
  • Scncartist
    Options
    I'll see my trainer again on either Thursday (if she can fit us in her schedule to make up a day) or on Tuesday for sure (as that's our normal scheduled day) and see what she says. She's a supporter of protein, but we are also in the gym 5 days a week, so I'll see if there are rules for protein versus exercise versus type of exercise and all that mess.

Oh! That would be awesome! :-) I do know that protein is fuel for muscles and that muscles weigh more than fat, therefore I know that weight loss might not be immediate and weight gain might be a factor (hopefully is gain from extra muscles). But I can hardly do one girly push up so some muscle would be desirable. :-)
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    If you have the protein shake in the morning, aren't you just replacing protein with protein? If you body takes in extra protein it doesn't need, it will just burn it like it would a carbohydrate, so as was stated earlier having extra is pointless. I think you are taking in plenty of protein already, though you are consuming it when it doesn't really help you. If you were to start a shake, I would say drink it around the same time as your exercise, though I don't know if before, during, or after will provide the most benefit.
  • metizzy2
    metizzy2 Posts: 122
    Options
    I had a personal trainer who told me to buy 100% whey protein and make it with water as a meal replacement or a snack. When I entered it in my food log, I was way over my protein limit, so now I don't drink the shakes anymore. I eat plenty of fresh peanut butter, egg whites, lean meat, and fat free cottage cheese that I don't think I really need MORE protein. Granted, I do work out 6 days a week, so acstein might have a point about a possible link between more protein for people who work out rigorously compared to people who exercise less.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    For people who exercise a lot, aim for 1g/lb of lean body mass per day. Lean body mass is total weight less BF% e.g. 200lb person at 15% BF has LBM of 170lbs.

For people who don't exercise as frequently, .5g/lb of LBM should be sufficient. I personally think that MFP setting of 15% is too low.

In saying that, if you are currently right on your calorie targets after exercise then adding a shake is going to put you over that amount and will increase weight. Depending on the type of exercises you are doing and the intensity will determine if this weight is fat/muscle.

I find it is good to have something to eat about an hour before exercising (whole food).

Then I will sip on half of a shake during workout (resistance workout) and then have the other half after. If I am running then I will just have the lot when I get back.

I use 30g whey (120 cals nearly 100% protein), 15g dextrose (60 cals 100% high GI carbs), banana 80cals (mostly lower GI carbs), cup 1% milk (about 50/50 carbs protein) and some weight watchers drinking chocolate (21cals carbs mainly). Total is 350 cals, 55g carbs, 1g fat, 35g protein. That is about 600ml of solid shake and will fill you up.

In saying that, people still recommend to have your next proper meal about an hour after exercising. As most of the stuff in a post workout shake should be High GI (quick digesting) it is used up quickly by your body for recovery.
  • acstein
    Options
    I prefer to think of the muscle versus fat, not as much as muscle weighing more. (a pound of fat and a pound of muscle weight the same) But, muscles takes up less space. So if I were the same size, I would weight more with muscle than fat; however I could weight the same and be 1 size smaller in my jeans...make sense?

http://www.bodyblueprint.co.nz/images/ARTICLES/fat-v-muscle.jpg
  • Stella_Does
    Options
    I find I lose weight better when I have protein shakes but that's because I use them to bulk up smoothies or convenience after a weights session. the actual protein shake isn't going to help you lose weight - it's still calories. I just use it to boost my protein intake without having to carry around meat and eggs with me and also for quick absorption for muscle recovery/repair.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    I used this to determine my carbs to protein to fat ratio: http://www.dietitian.com/calcbody.php. It recommended 50% carbs, 30% protein and 20% fat. Currently I'm on 45% carbs, 30% protein and 25% fat and it seems to be working a little better. I use a protein shake after my work outs to help with soreness and help me reach my protein goal since it's so high (especially after working out). Several sites will recommend 30% of your diet be protein for optimal weight loss. Any more than 40% consistently could cause kidney failure later in life. If you are lifting weights or exercising a lot in general, you definitely need more protein. Protein is what helps our muscles repair themselves and if we don't get protein, our muscles aren't going to grow or get stronger or heal... which means you'll be sore and weak.

I use a 100% whey protein powder in milk, sometimes with fruit, most of the time with PB, whatever I want to use up calories or just make it taste better.

The only way you'll gain weight with protein is if you're eating something high calorie and not staying within what MFP recommends for your calorie intake. This is similar to what body builders and men/women trying to gain weight or muscle mass do. They eat a lot of protein and a lot of calories and lift a LOT of weight.