Healthy Evening Munchies

Options
Hi guys,

So I just started grad school and my classes are in the evening, at 6 PM. I typically eat lunch around noon and plan on having small dinners when I get home around 10 PM. However, around 5 PM I get really hungry! What are some snacks I can eat in the late afternoon, ideally ones that I can munch on in class?

Note: I'm allergic to nuts, so I can't bring a baggie of almonds or anything like that.

Thanks for your help.

Replies

• skpatten
    skpatten Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    String cheese & grapes. Are a good choice.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Chopped veggies, fruit, prepared popcorn, crackers, string cheese, pretzels.
  • kkerri
    kkerri Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I ate my weight in raw vegetables during law school. I was really thin, too, so I need to get back to that!
  • kkerri
    kkerri Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Pretzels and protein bars are good choices, too.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I am currently chowing down on some sugar snap peas.
  • Miss_Meliss86
    Miss_Meliss86 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Everyone else has offered some great suggestions. A few words of advice from one student to another: try not to bring in foods that are very strong smelling or loud to chew, especially if you intend to eat while class is in session. It doesn't normally bother too many people, but there was a girl who sat behind me who would loudly (and I mean loudly) crunch her carrots to the point that the prof asked her to leave class at one point!

Some of my personal favs: veggies such as cucumbers, sweet peppers, cherry tomatoes (technically a fruit, but whatever haha), sugar snap peas, etc. and hummus or some other dip, protein bars or homemade granola bars, roasted chickpeas (check out this recipe: http://ohsheglows.com/recipage/?recipe_id=6002030, fruits of any kind, popcorn (great suggestion Adini!)
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    Just got into popping My own popcorn...Organic/No GMO Popcorn and Organic Coconut Oil. OOOh sooo good; you only need 1T of oil or more if you like and a Quarter cup of popcorn for one person (That is a LOT), good salt (Popcorn or sea). GREAT Taste! That's a great healthful, low calorie snack (from 200-400 calories for a lot of good eats!). I was going to buy a popcorn popper but when I began popping on the stove with a pot (if handle ok, if larger and no handle use mitts/pad), I said what the heck, it is even quicker and better and more fun. Microwave almost took the FUN and Health out of popcorn.
  • lady6starlight
    lady6starlight Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Oh wow, everyone's suggestions are on point. IDK why I didn't think about veggies, pretzels, or popcorn. I've been on a fruit salad kick, so I'll definitely expand my options. Thank you all! :]