Hello Friends! Need support!

Options
Hello! I am hoping to find support on this journey. Background: last September, I apparently injured my knee (I don't know how). After a LONG wait to see an orthopedic surgeon, I was told that my meniscus is torn off the bone. However, he said I am too old (I am 67) and too fat for the surgery. I was devastated. I went home and immediately started IF which was a complete failure for me. After 6 weeks, I had lost 3 lbs. I am now logging every day.
I need to lose 40 lbs for my BMI to be under 40.
I am in pain almost constantly. I am unable to walk any distance. My husband wants me to see a different doctor but mentally I don't think I can stand to hear those cruel words from another doctor. I KNOW I am morbidly obese. Do I have to live the rest of my life in pain?
Certainly I will NOT go back to the first doctor. I will go to another doctor but would like my BMI to be under 40 first.
Ultimately, I would like to lose 110 lbs but losing this first 40 would be a great start. And maybe I can have my knee repaired.
For reference, the surgery the first doctor would have done involved drilling holes into my tibia (large bone in lower leg) and then sewing the meniscus to the bone. It is my understanding that this injury will lead to more arthritis and eventually I would need a total knee replacement. Which is fine. I just want to feel better.
I want to lose weight. I can't exercise. Has anyone else experienced this? Or can anyone offer some support?

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,020 Member
    Options
    I agree with your husband to see a different doctor and at least get an explanation as to why your age and weight are factors. I mean, I can speculate but that's not helpful to you.

When you go to the second doctor, ask for a referral to a Dietician. To lose weight all you need is to be at a good calorie level - and then, TIME.

I can see how your pain would make it difficult for you to see an end to this but there is one! Seek that second (and third and fourth if necessary) opinion. That first doctor had zero bedside manner. I've met doctors like him. Sorry he was blunt, but maybe that was his awkward way of trying to shock you into doing something. :flowerforyou:

• segoodenough
    segoodenough Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Monitor very carefully every bite of food. Have you tried a recumbent bike or water exercise? Both can offer zero impact exercise with great weight loss benefits.