Trying to lose weight

Options
aleisawalkin
aleisawalkin Posts: 1 Member
Hi Aleisa

This is my 7 attempt to lose weight and try to be discipline.....anyone on this group struggle with that?

Replies

• Corina1143
    Corina1143 Posts: 2,996 Member
    Options
    Of course! I think we all do sometimes.
    Try making a habit of logging. Log your food every day, whether you overeat, undereat, or nail it all.
    Baby steps.
  • teardropterry
    teardropterry Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Yes! I have tried so many things since I began gaining in my 40’s. Sometimes successful- then creeps back. Now 64 and ready to be successful! I am determined to figure this out and still enjoy my present self.
  • xbowhunter
    xbowhunter Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    For me I don't usually have issues staying motivated to lose weight.

When I get to goal weight that's where it gets tricky for me. I can easily slide into old habits if I start mindless eating and drinking.

My advice is don't be too hard on yourself. Start over now and take it one day at a time. :)

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,436 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I try to find tactics that require the minimum of discipline, because (as a hedonistic aging hippie flake, basically) discipline is not one of my strengths.

My general approach was to gradually work on various dimensions of this, starting with calorie goal, then satiation at that calorie level, then reasonable macronutrient balance, then tuning up micronutrients. (That's further than most people go, TBH.)

I can make a positive change when my motivation/discipline budget is up a bit, make that change a habit, and pick a new improvement to make next time I have the willpower to devote to it.

That was good enough to lose from obese to healthy weight in a bit less than a year, and maintain a healthy weight for going on 8 years since, after around 30 previous years of overweight/obesity.

I'm a big fan of thinking how to make weight loss easy and permanent (as much as possible), rather than trying to make it fast. YMMV. But "lose weight fast then go back to normal" is pretty much the standard recipe for weight yo-yos, which is typically the least healthy option of all.

Best wishes!