Excercise

Options
Which burns more calories? Weights or walking/running

Answers

• tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,622 Member
    Options
    Just do both weights and cardio as they’re both important. Which burns more calories will be determined by intensity of both.
  • Corina1143
    Corina1143 Posts: 2,922 Member
    Options
    Short term=running.
    But running today vs weights for the rest of your life? Eventually weights will outrun running.
    So do a lot of the one you love and some of the other. Unless you love them both.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,154 Member
    Options
    Running burns more calories per minute, but muscle/strength is useful in daily life not to mention health-promoting. Do both.

I agree with Lietchi: "What burns the most calories" is a terrible way to pick an exercise routine.

Pick something relatively fun (or at least tolerable/practical), because you're more likely to keep doing it. Any exercise we do burns 100% more calories than ones we procrastinate or skip with the slightest excuse.

Or, pick an exercise routine to support your health goals (that's where "do both cardio and weights" comes from). Or, pick an exercise routine to improve at a specific activity (sport, hobby, job, whatever). Do something that has a bigger point for you personally (not just calorie burn) .

Good life balance in all ways - that's important.

Me, I row (boats when I can, machines when I must), bike (same real bike/stationary bike philosophy as with rowing), lift a little, do some yoga/stretching. I don't do enough strength training, but I'm not going to tell others it's optional, because that would be bad advice. ;)

Best wishes!

• mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,231 Member
    Options
    Do both strength training AND cardio.

Don't count on either to burn enough calories that you can eat whatever you want. You can't outrun (or outlift) the fork. The battle of fat loss happens in the kitchen, not the gym or track.

If the question is what is the BEST WAY to burn calories, well - that's very personal. I'd rather hike than run, but I also run because it's good for me. Swimming is a great way to burn calories. The trick is on the other end though - eating an appropriate number of calories to meet your goals.
  • cats2222
    cats2222 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I go to planet fitness. With all that I available there you can work out however you want. I do some cardio and some strength training each session
  • TomFarrellFit
    TomFarrellFit Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Dont choose one over the other.

Strength train to build strength & muscle.
    Do cardio for heart & lung health.
    Sleep to recover.
    Eat nutritious food

All exercise will burn calories, just because one exercise burns more than another one, doesnt make it a better exercise. Mixing all of them together will produce the best results.