Desperate and panicking.

Options
hjwm68khx4
hjwm68khx4 Posts: 1 Member
Hello 👋🏻

I am not new to the app but I am starting again. Again.

I am a mid 40 year old single parent to two kids. I work full time in a school and I am very overweight. I piled on the weight during my marriage which ended a year ago. I ate because I was unhappy and because I was being subjected to mental and physical abuse. I now know I ate so I was unattractive to try to stop the sexual abuse. I have been through therapy and am now divorced and happier. I just need to rid myself of this final layer of the old me and it’s a struggle.

There are so many diets, advice, theories that I find it completely overwhelming. I wish I could have someone say “do this and don’t do that” and I just follow the instructions. Life isn’t that simple though!

I used to run but I find it very hard now with so much extra weight. I have around 100lbs to lose.

I am desperate to lose the weight as it’s now a reminder of what I went through and I’m panicking that it’s too late and I’m now stuck like this.

Please throw all of your advice at me!

Replies

• kelz1481
    kelz1481 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi just wanted to say I am where you are so know how you are feeling I’m not new here either so starting again again like you! I’m 44 this year mum of 5 and escaped a violent relationship which made me eat for comfort really, I recently lost 1.5 stones but now put back on nearly 1stone due to illness and not being able to get out so again the vicious cycle of comfort eating I’m now back on my feet and need to shift this weight it’s affecting my mental health I’m a member of slimming world which works for me I’ve lost 6 stones over the years I’d be very happy to advise you on what to eat etc feel free to drop me a message also be proud of who you are now and that you are a survivor like me be nice to have someone who understands to chat to and help each other on our journey take care 😊
  • Symbolic_Fit
    Symbolic_Fit Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm new to this so I won't give detailed advice. I will just say start small. If it's overwhelming do one thing and stick with it. Portion control is an easy first step. Than once your portions are good you can start changing your diet. You can also incorporate little workouts throughout the day instead of trying to do a big workout. I do little 15-20min workouts at least once a day and 2 stretch videos. Nothing wild but enough to get strength back in my body! I personally always recommend yoga as it stretches but also strengthens and there are many variations for all abilities. Feel free to connect with me!! And don't stress about it as much. Baby steps are all you need to start 🥰
  • ddsb1111
    ddsb1111 Posts: 843 Member
    edited May 24
    Options
    1. Set up your goals in MFP
    2. Eat that many calories per day
    3. Log your food in your food diary

That’s pretty much it. If you’re stuck for more than 4 weeks you might need to tighten your logging. A food scale to measure how much you’re actually eating will take out all of the guesswork, and save you weeks of trying with no change. I’d rather just weigh the food and move on with my life 😆

The 3 steps above are the only things you need. It’s simple but not easy. But if you’re serious about losing the weight, start immediately and don’t give up.