I am looking for a savory butternut squash recipe

Options
grdvryw7n6
grdvryw7n6 Posts: 1 Member
Does anybody have a yummy savory butternut squash recipe ?

Answers

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,102 Member
    Options
    I love Winter squash, but don't do recipes. I just cook.

For a simple savory side, I like smashed roasted squash with white miso (just mixed in).

Here's a recipe I put on Pinterest from MFP, which I haven't made to the exact recipe, but close:

https://blog.myfitnesspal.com/butternut-squash-caramelized-onion-spinach-lasagna/

A couple of others I pinned on Pinterest, also didn't cook to exactitude:

https://inspiralized.com/butternut-squash-noodles-with-shredded-brussels-sprouts-walnuts-and-caramelized-onions/
    (If you don't have a spiralizer, cutting in matchsticks should work fine.)

https://www.makingthymeforhealth.com/mexican-zucchini-burrito-boats/

https://naturallyella.com/chipotle-butternut-squash-black-beans-and-goat-cheese-tostadas/

Some things I have cooked with squash, no recipe just made them:

* Squash and red lentil soup with garlic, chopped fresh sage leaves, smoked paprika, served with a sprinkling of roasted pumpkin seeds on top

* Red lentil (or other neutral-flavored higher protein) pasta baked with caramelized chopped onions, ricotta, eggs, white beans, and some freshly grated parmesan on top

* Squash stuffed with chickpea "rice", gruyere, smoked gouda, smoked tofu, garlic, sage, caramelized chopped onions, egg to bind, topped with a bit of parmesan and some smashed-to-crumbs dry seitan cubes.

I'm sure I used salt in some of those things, maybe pepper, that I didn't note when I made them.
  • badnoodle
    badnoodle Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I have made this several times, and it's always turned out well. I usually prep the whole squash, but only cook half of it at once.

1/2 medium butternut squash, peeled, deseeded, and cut into 1" cubes (about 1.5lbs or so)
    1 tbsp olive oil
    2 tsp ras al-hanout spice blend (Za'atar is also delicious).
    1/2 tsp or so of salt

Roast in the air fryer for 28" at 380ish degrees, shaking vigorously halfway through.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,613 Member
    Options
    Google “squash gnocchi”. I would choose a recipe that coats them in brown butter and sage.

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,102 Member
    Options
    acpgee wrote: »
    Google “squash gnocchi”. I would choose a recipe that coats them in brown butter and sage.

Squash and sage is a great, great combination for pasta, soup, and more. I almost think we can't go wrong with that in squash savories. For quite a few uses, I like the caramelized onion in there as well.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    This is not low-calorie. You can leave out the chicken sausage if you want it vegetarian:

PASTA WITH BUTTERNUT SQUASH

1 small butternut squash (2 pounds), cut into ½ inch cubes
    1 tablespoon olive oil
    12 ounces dried pasta
    1 batch Sage Brown Butter (recipe below)
    ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
    ¼ cup grated parmesan cheese
    Chicken & Apple sausages, sliced and browned

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

2. Toss the squash with the olive oil, salt, pepper, and roast for 30-40 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes.

3. When the squash is nearly done, cook the pasta in salted water. Reserve ½ cup of the pasta water, drain and set aside.

4. Warm the butter in a large skillet over low heat. Add the squash, cinnamon, salt, and pepper. Add the pasta water a little at a time. Add the cooked pasta and sausages, toss until heated through.

5. Serve immediately topped with the parmesan.

SAGE BROWN BUTTER

4 tablespoons unsalted butter
    ¼ cup finely chopped fresh sage leaves
    Sea salt – black pepper

1. In a large saucepan or skillet over medium heat, melt the butter and continue cooking , stirring occasionally, until the butter turns golden brown with tiny brown flecks, 4 to 5 minutes.

2. Remove the pan from the heat, slowly add the sage leaves and stir. Add salt and pepper to taste.
  • COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    This is one I got from a potluck. It was a hit there and a hit at home when I made it too.

1 butternut squash peeled, seeded and cut into cubes
    3 tablespoons of olive oil
    2 tablespoons of brown sugar
    1 teaspoon of chili garlic sauce
    ¼ teaspoon salt
    ¼ teaspoon black pepper
    4 ounces of crumbled feta cheese
    ½ cup of shelled pecans or pistachios (optional)
    1 tablespoon freshly chopped basil (optional)
    1 tablespoon freshly chopped cilantro (optional)
    1 tablespoon freshly chopped oregano (optional)
    Mix olive oil, brown sugar, and chili garlic sauce together
    Toss the squash with the mixture to coat the squash
    Spread the coated squash on a large baking sheet and sprinkle on the salt and pepper
    Roast is a 375 degree oven for 40 minutes or until tender
    Put squash in a serving dish and pour any extra sauce from the baking sheet over the squash
    Spread feta cheese, nuts, and herbs over the top
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,208 Member
    Options
    Cut it open. Take out the seeds. Cut it up just a bit. Pressure cook for five minutes. Take it out. Let it cool. When it's cool, remove the skin.

Meanwhile, saute some onions and carrots and any other vegetables you might want, like parsnip or shallot or even cauliflower, but beware - you don't want too many vegetables to take away from the squash flavor. Oh. Yeah - save the garlic until the very end. Use things like cumin and sage.

Add the skinned squash back. Add a quart or two of water. Cook again for six to eight minutes and let the pressure drop naturally.

When it's all cooled down, you can use an immersion blender to puree. Then pour in a can of salmon (the larger cans with skin and bones) or mackerel. Oh. So good.
  • SafariGalNYC
    SafariGalNYC Posts: 897 Member
    edited March 9
    Options
    I cut it into small chunks and then roast with a bit of sea salt at 375 until a bit crisped at the edges.

I then toss the baked squash a blend of herbs, and a touch of EVOO. Especially rosemary. 😋
  • SuzanneC1l9zz
    SuzanneC1l9zz Posts: 451 Member
    Options
  • perryc05
    perryc05 Posts: 209 Member
    edited March 11
    Options
    So many recipes for pumpkin in Eastern European food cultures:
    https://www-russianfood-com.translate.goog/recipes/bytype/?fid=931&_x_tr_sl=auto&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en

Although it's more on the sweet side pumpkin and millet porridge is one of my favourites.