BMR

Options
Does anybody know how accurate the daily food goal is as on my weighing scales (Renpho) my BMR is 1130 whereas MyFitnessPal is telling me my goal is 1670. How do known which to believe as they are vastly different?

Replies

• yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,393 Member
    Options
    BMR is the calories your body burns to keep you alive when in a coma, think breathing, brain function, organs doing their thing, etc. On top of that you get activity calories. Just working, doing everyday chores, exercising, even fidgetting, etc. What MFP gives you is BMR plus your estimate for the activity you gave yourself. On top of that goes exercising that you should log separately and get more calories to eat.

Estimates for BMR are only estimates as every person is a tiny bit different. Might be right, might not be. You could also play a bit with this BMR calculator as it uses different statistical methods to estimate it: https://www.sailrabbit.com/bmr/
  • sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,612 Member
    Options
    Does anybody know how accurate the daily food goal is as on my weighing scales (Renpho) my BMR is 1130 whereas MyFitnessPal is telling me my goal is 1670. How do known which to believe as they are vastly different?

Generally, BMR estimates from anywhere (calorie calculators, dexascan, scales, etc.) are all wildly inaccurate. This is the rule, not the exception. They are almost always off by a couple hundred calories, if not more. This is why you so often hear people say "I'm eating in a deficit but not losing weight" they've gotten a calorie estimate and believe they are eating in a deficit, but their calorie estimate is way off.