The start of my journey …

Options
jdenbeaux
jdenbeaux Posts: 3 Member
I am a 55 year old man. I have been an athlete my whole life. For my age, I am near the top 5-10% of fitness.

At 5’10” and 195 pounds I could lose some weight but much is muscle.

I was diagnosed with stage 2-3 cirrhosis of the liver - I don’t drink, just one of those things, and I have to lose 19 pounds.

I know how to train hard and right and I know how to eat right. I know I can get down to 185 quickly but that next 10 pounds, to 175, is scaring me silly.

That’s me. And any encouragement and support you have would be helpful.

Cannot believe I just posted this to the world.

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,086 Member
    Options
    Hello, and welcome,

You can do this, even if it isn't easy, and even if it's scary. To be at the fitness level you are, you've accomplished quite a few difficult things over the years already. You're up to this one, I'm betting, bigtime.

If part of the "scary" is feeling that you may not have that next 10 pounds without losing muscle, do stay in touch with your medical team as you go along (as I'm sure you were planning to do anyway). Possible they may reassess, when they see where you are and how labs look, though no guarantees of course.

One of my former colleagues (before I retired) experienced nonalcoholic cirrhosis, I'm not sure what stage number but quite advanced, diagnosed at a fitness level well below where you are, and went on to do very well to a much older age than you are now - literal multiple decades older.

Even as a stranger, I'm cheering for you!
  • Christi6604
    Christi6604 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Good luck! I was diagnosed with NASH on 2/1/24. I'm not sure if you are aware of these, but I've found some great resources:
    -LiverHealthPod - podcast about Liver Health. Hosts are doctors from Austrailia
    -LifeWithNash - An American Liver Foundation Support Group - This is a facebook group and it's amazing. Full of success stories from people who have done it.
    - Liver Better Life - Book by Dr. Paul Gow. Super good info. He's one of the hosts of the podcast.
    - A Dietary Guide from Baylor Health: https://www.bcm.edu/sites/default/files/a-guide-to-what-and-how-to-eat-non-alcoholic-fatty-liver-disease.pdf

I have followed that dietary plan and I'm losing weight for the first time in years. One thing that's been made very clear to me through all these resources is that diet is very very very important. Even without weight loss, diet is key.

I wish you the best! You can clearly do hard things! You got this.

• xbowhunter
    xbowhunter Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    55YO here too. I'm 5'7" and hover around 145lbs to 150lbs.

I prefer to be lean so I am happy with my current weight... :)

Welcome to MFP!