Beginner yoga

Options
egill0607
egill0607 Posts: 10 Member
I am 63, out of shape but tried yoga with adrienne today. I really liked it but boy am i not as flexible as I once was! I did my best, but any other tips?

Tagged:

Replies

• claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Patience, practice, good nutrition and rest! Over time you will work back into it, if you haven’t done yoga for a while you’re bound to be stiffer when attempting the poses.

I haven’t tried that particular one so don’t know how good it is for beginners, but there is a huge variety online and you might just find some of the slightly faster flows a bit easier to get you back into it.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,154 Member
    Options
    Most important: Stick with it! Progress comes from what we repeat. (But it's not necessary to overdo.

Depending on what stage/state you're at, this next might be a "gradually work up to" rather than a "must do immediately", but I found consistency really important for developing flexibility, especially as I age.

To be more specific, I got more flexibility benefits out of doing some yoga/stretching every day, rather than (or in addition to) doing something like a class a couple of times a week.

For me (now age 68), that was true even if the every day was 10 minutes or so, and the twice a week was a much longer session (like 45-60 minutes).

Like I said, if this is challenging, every day (even a small amount) could be too much at first.

If you start doing Yoga with Adrienne a time or three a week (whatever is appropriate for your body now), I predict you'll notice which poses or sequences are especially helpful (or challenging!) for you.

When you feel up to it (without too much fatigue or soreness), consider doing those one or two things daily, if you can fit it in, and maybe see if you have a similar experience.

Best wishes!
  • clcrafter8950
    clcrafter8950 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I'm around the same age as you and found it a bit more challenging. I modify my exercises and I treated myself to a thicker mat to make it easier on my knees. Best of luck!