How to log exercise: using an ext. app!

Options
LunaBella2024
LunaBella2024 Posts: 1 Member
edited March 8 in Fitness and Exercise
Hi, I don’t use any of the apps that you can connect to here. I have two apps that I really love and have been loyal to, Down Dog yoga & their HIIT app. I just want to be able to log the time I spend on those apps — I can somewhat easily get my HIIT exercises logged here but I tend to do more yoga.

I am not entirely interested in using apps or the exercises they have here although I’ll look more into it. I was just wondering if anyone had any tips on how to convert exercises from an external app! Getting bummed that MFP doesn’t think I exercise beyond my steps! Haha!

Replies

• mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,231 Member
    Options
    Have you looked through the exercise database to see if they have your exercises? If so, then just log the minutes you do them.

There are several entries for yoga.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,154 Member
    Options
    Do you have a fitness tracker you wear close to 24x7 synced to MFP, such that you get a calorie adjustment? If so, the calorie adjustment should reflect your steps and your intentional exercise, assuming the number of calories exceeds what MFP expected based on your MFP activity level setting. In that scenario, you wouldn't need to log exercises explicitly at all.

The step count is more of a memo entry, not directly a calorie adjustment, in that situation. If you do sync a tracker, I'd encourage turning on negative adjustments in MFP, if you haven't already.

If you don't have a full tracker sync in place, just step counts, then I agree with mtaratoot's advice. Both the "Stretching, hatha yoga" and "Yoga" entries in the MFP cardiovascular exercise section equate to the same per-minute calorie estimate, so it really doesn't matter which you choose.

If you feel you have a more accurate calorie estimate for the yoga, another option would be to set up a custom exercise for yourself, and log those calories that way. I'd feel a bit of skepticism about a fitness tracker estimate for yoga unless the tracker knows you're doing something yoga-like . . . and maybe even then, if the tracker uses heart rate to make the estimate. (Yoga can raise heart rate in ways that don't correlate with calorie burn.)