Full Body Strength Training

Options
Hello, My name is Tommy.
Im a 49 year old truck driver who tries to live as healthy as I can being that I spend many hours sitting while I drive.
I found that doing a 3 day a week full body routine has made it much easier for me to hit all my muscle groups with frequency.
Even if I miss a day or 2, I still hit all the muscles at least 1 time.

I do deadlift, squats, bench press and overhead press as my base for my training. I dont lift super heavy. I just do what will help me in life things down the road.
I started off going very light on these base workouts until I learned how to get good a them. Most people are intimidated by these workouts. They shouldn't be!! You just have to practice at it and get better.

There are tons of programs out there you can follow to do this type of routine. My favorite is Mind Pump or The Pump.
But you can also form your own routine using this app. Do as many barbell and dumbbell exercises as you can! these base exercises will give you the most bang for you buck.
On days I don't train, I try to do some walks, bike rides, jogging or row machine work.

So for people who have a busy schedule, Try a 3 day a week full body routine instead of your basic splits or 1 muscle group a day. There is no difference in doing 15 sets in 1 day or 15 sets in a week on a muscle group. In fact, the frequency of hitting that muscle group 3 times in a week can bring better results.

This is a routine that has worked great for me. Not everyone is the same. But I hope this can help some peeps out!

Replies

• nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,070 Member
    Options
    Preach it, @diddy1319! And welcome to the forums!
  • Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,514 Member
    edited March 9
    Options
    Good stuff, diddy.

Three times a week is ideal, although I wouldn't do the exact same workout each time, personally. Maybe deadlifts once per week on the middle workout, and squats on the first and third workouts, but not both of those every workout every two to three days, especially at around 50 years old if your goal is more than maintenance.
    diddy1319 wrote: »
    Hello, My name is Tommy.
    There is no difference in doing 15 sets in 1 day or 15 sets in a week on a muscle group. In fact, the frequency of hitting that muscle group 3 times in a week can bring better results.
    There's a huge difference. Dr. Mike at RP has talked about more than 10 sets per group per day being generally too much. As you said, doing that group at least twice per week is better, as the research has shown.
  • diddy1319
    diddy1319 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry, I should have been more detailed in that message about the 4 main lifts. I do split those up over 3 workouts.
    I do deadlifts 1 day, benchpress and the combine squats & overhead press.
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,621 Member
    Options
    Hello, My name is Tommy.
    Im a 49 year old truck driver who tries to live as healthy as I can being that I spend many hours sitting while I drive.
    I found that doing a 3 day a week full body routine has made it much easier for me to hit all my muscle groups with frequency.

I do deadlift, squats, bench press and overhead press as my base for my training. I dont lift super heavy. I just do what will help me in life things down the road.
    I started off going very light on these base workouts until I learned how to get good a them. Most people are intimidated by these workouts. They shouldn't be!! You just have to practice at it and get better.

There are tons of programs out there you can follow to do this type of routine. My favorite is Mind Pump or The Pump.
    But you can also form your own routine using this app. Do as many barbell and dumbbell exercises as you can! these base exercises will give you the most bang for you buck.
    On days I don't train, I try to do some walks, bike rides, jogging or row machine work.

So for people who have a busy schedule, Try a 3 day a week full body routine instead of your basic splits or 1 muscle group a day. There is no difference in doing 15 sets in 1 day or 15 sets in a week on a muscle group. In fact, the frequency of hitting that muscle group 3 times in a week can bring better results.

This is a routine that has worked great for me. Not everyone is the same. But I hope this can help some peeps out!
    Hello, My name is Tommy.

most people should be doing 3 day full body workouts.