Investing in a treadmill.... What should i look for?

Options
^^^Title^^^
I want something at a great price that will generally last. I don't have a fortune to pay for it. I just don't know what i should be looking for when i go through these. (currently looking on amazon).

I want to get this because i don't want to run in the ice and snow when winter comes in the next couple of months. That and praying for a gym membership is crazy expensive in the long run.

Let me know guys what you look for in a treadmill and the price range i'm looking at? Or if anyone is lacking something interesting to do, if you find one online that's good to buy for a good price link it here. I'd be very very greatful for some help :)

Replies

• Sashoi
    Sashoi Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I have a http://www.walmart.com/ip/Weslo-Cadence-G-5.9-Treadmill/14972088
    Not really this model cause I have had mine for almost 7 years. Still works n it's on the cheaper end for treadmills, has training programs n incline n can monitor your hrm.
  • Nikoruo
    Nikoruo Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    I have a http://www.walmart.com/ip/Weslo-Cadence-G-5.9-Treadmill/14972088
    Not really this model cause I have had mine for almost 7 years. Still works n it's on the cheaper end for treadmills, has training programs n incline n can monitor your hrm.
    thanks!! seems pretty good i'll check it out :)!

*edit* awww i'm too heavy right now to use it, gotta look for something that can take my weight of 285 at max at least. I'm 282.2lbs right now
  • _EndGame_
    _EndGame_ Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I'm not entirely sure on brands in Canada, but I have a Horizon AC20 (I think that's what it is anyway) I paid £200 for it from eBay, it's like a proper gym style one. Max user weight was something like 25 stone, it's got incline on it, a built in fan, built in HRM, safety clip - was a bargain!

So I guess my point is try eBay, search for people selling local to you, try and grab yourself a bargain!
  • garciabnm
    Options
    not sure on prices, but i would get one with a hrm and a wide track . amazon is a good place to start, but i would want to try them out for comfort, and stability before hand.
  • NarneyK
    NarneyK Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Make sure to get one with a pause button! Mine doesn't have one and I either have to stop the whole workout or jump off when I need to pause. Usually it is something silly like needing to adjust the tongue of my shoe or to adjust my socks, etc and I don't want to stop my entire workout for something so trivial so I just jump off for a few secs. Really silly but it helps to have a pause button :D Good luck!
  • KahuNZ
    KahuNZ Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    The bigger the better really - nice and wide track with a long belt. Buy the best you can afford - look for good second hand models as people buy them new and then don't use them and you can find a bargain.
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    I'm in MN and run outdoors all winter. Even after a big snow, the roads are cleared here and I never had to go more than a couple days without running. On other days I do videos at home.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I picked up a Pacemaster Silver at Fitness Depot about 10 years ago.

It was a bit on the pricy side but it's stood up well to a lot of punishment. There are quite a few listed on kijiji (including one Precor, but used it's still $2,000).

Have you considered joining a running group (free) Running Room has organized runs on Wednesdays and Sunday mornings for runners of all experience levels & distances (there's one on Merivale Rd)