How do you remind yourself to move more while at a desk all day???

Options
2»

Replies

• hazelbestill1596
    hazelbestill1596 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    My work floor is very big, almost the size of two city blocks so I purposely go to the restroom at the other end of floor to get some steps in. It’s helps. Small steps = big results :smile:
  • AdahPotatah2024
    AdahPotatah2024 Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    In the new analysis, the researchers accounted for factors, including medical conditions, that could’ve affected risk of early death.

About half of the participants spent 10 ½ hours or more sedentary each day.

When the researchers linked the participants’ information with death registries in the different countries, they found that over an average of five years, 805 people, or 17%, had died. Of those who died, 357, or 6%, had spent less than 10 ½ hours a day seated, while 448 averaged 10 ½ hours or more sedentary.

Sitting for more than 12 hours a day, the researchers found, was associated with a 38% increased risk of death as compared to eight hours, but only among those who managed to get less than 22 minutes of moderate to vigorous activity a day.

The risk of death went down with increasing amounts of physical activity. An extra 10 minutes a day translated into a 15% lower risk of death among those spending fewer than 10 ½ hours seated and a 35% lower risk among those who spent more than 10 ½ hours sedentary each day.

Lower intensity activity only made a difference among participants who spent 12 or more hours sitting every day.
    https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/20-minutes-exercise-day-may-balance-harms-sitting-study-finds-rcna121957
  • AdahPotatah2024
    AdahPotatah2024 Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    I've been getting better at keeping a 20 minute timer going,all day, to change from sitting to standing. I also have a "to do" list of exercises to do while working like squats and leg lifts. Going good so far!
  • lisakatz2
    lisakatz2 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I keep an eye on the clock so every half hour I do a couple of laps around the cubicles, plus I walk during my 15-minute breaks and lunch (I eat my lunch while I work, then use that half-hour for walking)