OH FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!

Options
waiting_on_Jesus
waiting_on_Jesus Posts: 4 Member
MFP is NOT a dating/hook-up app! Can't a gal just join and interact with like-minded people for whom the app is intended?

Replies

• Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,114 Member
    Options
    If you get inappropriate requests, don't hesitate to report them.
  • Korean_King
    Korean_King Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Nobody is hitting on you fam, stop the 🧢

Just use the calorie tracking app as intended and you won’t deal with these problems
  • Lietchi
    Options

Just use the calorie tracking app as intended and you won’t deal with these problems

Because you have privileged access to their account and know who contacts them?
    There are users on MFP who aren't using it as a weight-loss tool, and harassing other users in the process.
    Using the app 'as intended' doesn't stop that harassment.
  • Korean_King
    Options
    Lietchi wrote: »

Because you have privileged access to their account and know who contacts them?
    There are users on MFP who aren't using it as a weight-loss tool, and harassing other users in the process.
    Using the app 'as intended' doesn't stop that harassment.

I’ve been tracking my calories for the past 7 months on this app, I can assure you that you can log foods and meals without ever having to navigate to the “community” tab

• Lietchi
    Options
    Fine, if you have zero interactions with other users and an empty profile, it's far less likely you will get harassed or hit on.
    But I would hope that people have the right to use all parts of MFP if they desire to do so, without getting harassed. It's not up to people (women) to take measures to avoid harassment, they simply shouldn't be harassed to begin with.
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,056 Member
    Options
    The OP stated desire is to "interact with like-minded people." For that, you need to either have friends to post on your wall and vice versa, or navigate to the forums.

And even if you "use the app as intended" and never add a friend nor come to the forums, the app will still give notice of "friend requests" or private messages received, where you are again opening the possibility of being harassed.
  • Wean_over_that_now
    Wean_over_that_now Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Question? How do people know when you first join and request to be a friend without you doing anything but the food logging? And then after when you don't really jump around forums but on people still request as friends? I don't get it?
  • Korean_King
    Options
    Question? How do people know when you first join and request to be a friend without you doing anything but the food logging? And then after when you don't really jump around forums but on people still request as friends? I don't get it?

Based off what I can deduce, through the “badge” system unfortunately, if you do something as simple as set a pfp, it gives you a badge and you can see who else got it, giving thirsty terminally online dudes a way to send a request without you ever actually posting or replying

But it doesn’t seem like you can get unsolicited dm’s from randoms like other social media apps, should be an easy ignore 🤷‍♂️

I don’t really know anything since I’ve never actually worried about adding people so take what I say with a grain of salt
  • Wean_over_that_now
    Wean_over_that_now Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    @Korean_King Thanks, it makes sense. First day I joined I was just trying to figure out the app and was getting friend requests. Couldn't figure out why. I just ignore requests. I accepted one friend at first because of inspiration posts but didn't bother with anyone afterwards. Can chat with others if you want on topics your interested in as I'm doing right now to get answers, so that's good enough for me. Thanks for the info