Lowering Cholesterol through diet and exercise.

Options
Oatmeal will help lower cholesterol by as much as 5-6%. Use old fashion oatmeal (the cook type). I have one cup cooked at least 5 times a week. It's good with fruits a little bit of brown sugar or maple syrup, and raisins. It's a start.

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,925 Member
    Options
    Most oatmeal like all carbs is recognized by the body and metabolized as a sugar and then your putting more sugar on it. Cereal grains do more than lower LDL, they also lower HDL, they lower overall cholesterol, they're also instrumental in the formation of reactive oxygen species (ROS) which is basically oxidative stress on a cellular level and those LDL particles can get smaller as well, not a good thing, think inflammation. They use to legally be able to put the check mark seal of approval for health on the boxes of sugary cereal a few years, thank god they finally thought that might not be a great idea.

I'm not saying oatmeal is a bad grain but some are more refined than others and it really depends on someones overall health status and their existing diet whether it's a benefit or not and if someone is consuming mostly processed and ultra processed foods, aka the standard American diet, then I would suggest they do a little research before ramping up the sugar content of the diet. :)