Is the premium version actually better?

Options
Annual or month to month and why?

Answers

• Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,341 Member
    Options
    'Better' depends on what features are useful for you specifically. I lost weight using the free version just fine.

https://www.myfitnesspal.com/premium?source=menu_bar#comparePremium
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,908 Member
    Options
    Per what @Lietchi says, depends on how you’ll use the app and what you plan to get out of it.

I’m premium, my husband is free. We are both losing/maintaining just fine.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,843 Member
    Options
    I usually suggest people use the free version faithfully for a while, then look at the premium features list to see whether they need premium at all.

There are two exceptions: 1. People who know/believe they need a particular premium feature for a specialized and concrete reason, and 2. people who take a thing seriously if they pay for it and don't if it's free.

Free and premium work primarily in the same ways. The food database and exercise database are the same. The basic logging process is the same (except for barcode scanning, which is at best a mixed blessing). Premium adds some details that will be helpful for some people, but not necessary for all.

Starting with free MFP lets a person figure out whether the whole calorie counting/food logging process works for them at all (it won't suit all personalities), and puts them in a position to understand the list of premium features (it's too abstract IMO for people who don't know the basic app). The workout routines and meal plans may be appealing to some beginners, but there is similar content available elsewhere for free that can be used alongside MFP. One gives up a little functionality that way, but IMO it's not super burdensome.

If there's a free trial of premium on offer, maybe go that way. I'd still suggest waiting until a person understands the basic app that's available for free.

I do have premium. I didn't have it when I lost weight or in the earlier months of maintenance, and did fine without it. I like some of the features for manipulating nutrition goals in a more detailed way, and appreciate the lack of ads because my connection can be slow at times.