Legs, legs, and legs.

As I see other profiles from forums, many profile pictures have the one thing I want the most and that's lean/muscular legs. I have strived for this for the longest time and struggled immensely all of my life with the dreaded "thunder thighs". The running joke in my family is the Jolly curse-everyone including skinny people in the family have the thick/fat thighs (Jolly's my great-grandfather's last name, just so you know). No matter what I've done, no matter what drastic measure I've taken, I have never accomplished the impossible outside of the surgical room to get these coveted legs. For crying out loud, I served in the Navy which means I did a lot of running, plyometrics, cardio...you get the idea. Nothing has ever worked, so my question is, how can I obtain lean/muscular legs? Or, how did any of you get them and perhaps I can take the advice and try that route. I'd like to walk out one day in public and wear shorts for the first time since I was a toddler. Any and all advice is welcomed. Thank you in advance.

Replies

• A couple good exercises are body weight squats, lunges, plie jumps, and fire hydrant kicks. Sounds a bit crazy but nothing that terrible :) Friend and message me and I can provide some further instructions if you are interested.
  • Lift heavy things. If you want muscles and definition in your legs - squats, lunges, leg press.

Look up 5/3/1 program:
    http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/how_to_build_pure_strength

Heavy things. Lift them. Protein, eat/drink it.

Source: marathon runner who never had leg definition until she started lifting heavy
  • TattooedNici
    TattooedNici Posts: 2,141 Member
    Thank you both for the info! I will look into this and start on the work outs.
  • tomcornhole
    tomcornhole Posts: 1,084 Member
    Lean comes from losing fat and letting the muscles show through. Muscular comes from lifting heavy things. Eat at a deficit, do strength training. And be patient.
  • Damn I was going to suggest plyometrics. OK weighted lunges, squats, deadlifts :heart:, calf raises, plies ... etc it is then! Don't be freaked if the thighs get a little bigger at first.

A few years back, I got into pilates. My hips and thighs got pretty slim. I wanted more definition tho.
  • SadFaerie
    SadFaerie Posts: 243 Member
    I'm on the same boat, all my fat seems to gather below my waist, I'm skinny on top with all the muscle definition, yet my thighs are still huge. I just made peace with the fact that I'll never have skinny legs, I'm just not built that way, and started working towards muscular, whilst lowering body fat.

My favourite exercises (with a kettlebell or a barbell):
    goblet squat
    overhead squat
    hip thrust
    glute bridge
    back lunges
    one legged deadlift
    isometric squat & hold

Forget running, if you're like me, it won't give you legs you want. I mean, sure, I love plyos, running, kick boxing, but that I do for fun. Abs are made in the kitchen, legs are made in the gym!
  • ewrob
    ewrob Posts: 136 Member
    I took up cycling a few months ago and have been pursuing it seriously. I ride 400+ miles per month and try to get out 5 or 6 times per week for at least an hour or two per day. (More on the weekends) This has worked well for me because cycling does not require the rest that running would, (especially considering that I am still overweight) so I can do it very frequently. I just bought a road bike and I am doing rides like 20 miles @ 14 mph.

My legs look very healthy at this point and I am waiting for the rest of my body to catch up!

I can't say that cycling is "better" than running, (though it is better for me, being overweight) but it has been easy for me to go on long endurance rides where I burn thousands of calories. Since the days are getting shorter, I have been pushing myself on pace to get the most distance in with the time that I have in the evenings. This has been a great workout.
  • megalin9
    megalin9 Posts: 771 Member
    I have always loathed my legs and covered them up any way possible. When I was in high school, I remember always carrying a jacket so that I could lay it over my thighs when I was sitting. :cry:

However, I started heavy squatting, deadlifting, and lunging, and those have done amazing things for my legs AND my confidence (as has losing 60+ pounds). So while my legs aren't perfect, they are WAY leaner than they used to be. They can also do incredible things they couldn't do before, so I appreciate them a lot more and show them off every chance I get. I actually wore short, skimpy compression shorts to work out yesterday, and I couldn't stop staring at my legs. :drinker: Oh...and my butt. :blushing:
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    I agree with everyone else. Weights helped to lean out my legs (along with a calorie deficit); they are still big, but not as jiggly. I do the same exercises that have already been mentioned -

squat rack (front and back)
    deadlifts
    RDLs
    deadlifts with a trap bar
    overhead squats
    plie squats
    overhead walking lunges
    one legged lunges
    kettlebell squats

So many great exercises, it's hard to get bored. Have fun!
  • I have the same curse. I have a small waist (30in) and big hips (45.75in) so I have the big thigh problem too. I just recently started doing more leg workouts along with running 2 miles a day.

Leg Press
    Overhead weight squats
    Jumping squats with a kettle ball.

I have noticed a smoother look to my legs.
  • For crying out loud, I served in the Navy which means I did a lot of running, plyometrics, cardio...you get the idea. Nothing has ever worked, so my question is, how can I obtain lean/muscular legs?

:sad: You just listed my current plan of attack for finally getting lean legs once this weight comes off. Before, when I was thin (size 0/2), I did weighted squats, lunges, and rear leg lifts, ate a high protein diet, ran a lot...legs still had that chunky look. Strong, but with an annoying layer of fat over the muscles. I thought this time around I'd do lots of plyo and cardio work for the legs instead of weights and would come out ahead with leaner legs at my goal weight.

If you find something that works, please come back to this thread and share. (And hopefully it's not surgery, lol.)
  • alisonlynn1976
    alisonlynn1976 Posts: 929 Member
    I wouldn't say that I have lean legs at this point, but 10 pounds ago I had that saddlebag fat on the sides of my thighs, and I can see it going away in my latest progress pics. I've done a lot of squats, with a barbell and with kettlebells.
  • hazelghost
    hazelghost Posts: 2 Member
    I understand your family's plight. I am a twin who has much bigger thighs and calves. While my twin and I are fraternal, we look so similar that we pass as identical. It is hard being the bigger twin. My suggestion for you would be to follow the community's great advice and best of luck to you!!!
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Squats, Squats, and Squats. Weighted of course....
  • conniedj
    conniedj Posts: 470 Member
    Dead lifts, squats, split lunges, back lunges, step ups, squat jumps......I have a hard time with really heavy squats due to a tendon issue....so I tend to focus on weighted-everything else I can do!

And FWIW...I have big thighs! You can check out my profile. I still have some pounds to lose--but the work in the weight room is definitely showing!
  • RunningRichelle
    RunningRichelle Posts: 346 Member
    My legs were already lean, but doing Bikram yoga sure did make 'em just how I wanted 'em to look- They're not totally ripped, but they are muscly and defined for sure!
  • Bluepopsicle_25
    Bluepopsicle_25 Posts: 62 Member
    bump
  • TattooedNici
    TattooedNici Posts: 2,141 Member
    You all have been very helpful! I have written down the ideas/exercises and will use them. I'm tired of not only having the "muscular" legs, but with fat surrounding them that won't go away. Thank you all for the information!