What did you do to overcome your weightloss plateau?

Options
So basically I have lost a pretty good amount of weight, and so I lowered my calorie intake and I haven't lost weight since and have been in the 150's forever. I keep fluctuating but I can't get to the 140's. I've gone back to what my calorie intake was before and I didn't lose, I exercise a lot and am pretty active, so my question is what did you do to overcome a standstill in your diet? Because its very discouraging!

Replies

• hannah_d1989
    hannah_d1989 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I'm interested in this topic also! I understand how discouraging it can be.
    I am still keeping up a good diet and exercise, but don't have heaps to lose so is very difficult! I am now testing out whether cutting out my food intolerance completely may help (woops shouldn't be having them!!!)
    Best of luck to you
  • ldholcombe
    ldholcombe Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I did a 24day challenge to break through my platue!
  • LMick1986
    Options
    I did a detox/cleanse and it re-started the weight loss.
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    Ate at maintenance for a while, started paying attention to my macros (40c30f30p) and changed up my exercise.
    If you're exercising intensely, take a week to do something less intense, if you're doing mild exercise, step it up a bit and do something different. The closer you get to your goal, the slower you'll lose, in my experience. I'm about 10lbs off my goal weight and sitting at about 24% bodyfat and I'm losing about 2lbs every month.

The most important thing is patience. I've been through 2-3 month-long plateaus before and then lost weight all in a "whoosh". This is a very helpful article for understanding body composition and weight loss:

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/of-whooshes-and-squishy-fat.html
  • hannah_d1989
    hannah_d1989 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I did a detox/cleanse and it re-started the weight loss.

What kind of cleanse did you do if u don't mind me asking? Sounds like a good idea really
  • ldholcombe
    ldholcombe Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    The 24 day challenge is a cleasne too that restarts your metabolism!
  • LMick1986
    Options
    I know there is a lot of debate out there as to whether or not you should actually do cleanses, but I'm a believer in them. We live in such a toxic society....so many foods and their added chemicals and so on. So a couple times a year, I think it's good to get all that flowing out of you. I personally did the Solutions4 (previously Herbalogica). Ultimately it was strictly fruits and vegetables for 20 days. Three of those days was a liquid mixture. They also provided all the organic supplements.
    Just to point out, I'm not advertising for any company. I encourage you to do research and see what would work best for you.
    A friend of mine does AdvoCare, which has a 24 day challenge. From what I hear, it's not quite so strict on what you are supposed to eat.
  • DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    I'm not a big fan of detoxes personally, I don't really see why eating vegetables for 20 days is any different to eating a balanced diet of fresh, non-processed food if all you want to do is get rid of any chemicals or whatever that companies may add to their food. Unless you enjoy eating only vegetables, of course.

Anyway, in answer to the original question, before when I've hit plateaus the weight has started coming off again without any change. Sometimes I try changing things up and eating different amounts only to find that does nothing, then go back to what I was doing for a few weeks and then it suddenly starts coming off again. And sometimes I just haven't changed anything the whole time and it's started again. So if you feel like you've tried everything and nothing's working, just keep at it, sometimes it might just start dropping off again even though you haven't done anything different.
  • acidosaur
    acidosaur Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I basically had to start logging everything and make sure I had a bigger deficit than previously. Sad but true. Log absolutely everything and then when you know what your deficit is, increase it, say by 100 calories a day or so. I had to stop eating back any exercise calories. This is the only thing that worked for me.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    bump
  • LMick1986
    Options
    I'm not a big fan of detoxes personally, I don't really see why eating vegetables for 20 days is any different to eating a balanced diet of fresh, non-processed food if all you want to do is get rid of any chemicals or whatever that companies may add to their food. Unless you enjoy eating only vegetables, of course.

Again, I'm not advocating. It worked for me, which was the question. I encourage everyone to do their own research and make their own choices as to what would be feasible for them.