Low Sodium Diet

Options
I have cirrhosis and have to live on a low sodium diet. Anyone else on this journey?

Replies

• MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,341 Member
    Options
    My husband needs a low sodium diet due to heart disease.
    Home cooking is your best friend.
    Snacks can be a problem.
    One thing we do is dehydrate vegetables like tomatoes. They can make a nice chip substitute if sliced thin enough and dried to a crisp.

There’s lots of other ways to make a low sodium diet delicious.

You do get used to it.
    My house has been low sodium so long that fast food now tastes like a salt lick, which is a bonus when you’re trying to avoid it!
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,918 Member
    Options
    Fatty liver is caused almost exclusively by lifestyle consequences that bring on insulin resistance, obesity, type 2 diabetes, heart disease basically metabolic syndrome and the other symptom is hypertension and while reducing salt will effect it somewhat it's not until the other symptoms are dealt with before real progress can be made by reducing all of these symptoms as well as reducing fatty liver which will benefit people like you with cirrhosis. If this applies to you I suggest seeking some professional medical advice to help you further because generally advising someone to reduce salt is generally just lip service from the uniformed doctors of the world, which seems to be the norm from what I can tell, and of course this is just my opinion and not medical advice. :)
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,393 Member
    Options
    Home cooking! Use lots of spices if you can. Salt enhances flavour, but for some food, citrussy tastes do the same. I always throw a small handful of barberries in tomato based pasta sauces. A bit of lemon juice (ready-made) does wonders in many stews.
  • careyj57
    careyj57 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My husband requires a low sodium diet due to heart disease as well. We rarely eat out and when we do, we ask that things aren’t salted/seasoned. I also look at the nutritional guide in advance. There are so many no salt added options now (tomatoes, beans, chips, etc) and we take advantage of those. Additionally we eat many fresh fruits and vegetables.
  • Corina1143
    Corina1143 Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    Fatty liver is caused almost exclusively by lifestyle consequences that bring on insulin resistance, obesity, type 2 diabetes, heart disease basically metabolic syndrome and the other symptom is hypertension and while reducing salt will effect it somewhat it's not until the other symptoms are dealt with before real progress can be made by reducing all of these symptoms as well as reducing fatty liver which will benefit people like you with cirrhosis. If this applies to you I suggest seeking some professional medical advice to help you further because generally advising someone to reduce salt is generally just lip service from the uniformed doctors of the world, which seems to be the norm from what I can tell, and of course this is just my opinion and not medical advice. :)

Where do you find a Dr. that knows and cares?
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,918 Member
    Options
    Corina1143 wrote: »

Where do you find a Dr. that knows and cares?

There will be clinics in most area's owned and run by individual Doctors, that's a good place to start. I was lucky, my Doctor is a friend who also specializes in people with metabolic syndrome and a lower carb lifestyle and there's a lot of these types of clinics in at least, the larger urban area's.