Eat or not to eat is the question!

Options
Im just curious, from what I understand you shouldnt eat after 7. Some say do not eat 2 hours before bed. It was also said that you shouldnt go a long time without eating. So, If I ate my last meal at 6pm and I didnt go to bed until 12 , should I have eaten something or just have nothing at all. The reason I say is because I am starving and I find myself waking up hungry and I barely make it to the kitchen in the morning. Any suggestions!

Replies

• HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    Im just curious, from what I understand you shouldnt eat after 7. Some say do not eat 2 hours before bed. It was also said that you shouldnt go a long time without eating. So, If I ate my last meal at 6pm and I didnt go to bed until 12 , should I have eaten something or just have nothing at all. The reason I say is because I am starving and I find myself waking up hungry and I barely make it to the kitchen in the morning. Any suggestions!
    It's important to fuel your body every few hours. Yes ppl say all sorts of things on this topic and every other topic:laugh: . I do what works for me and that is if my day is off scedule then I keep my eating on scedule as best I can, if it means eating later, so be it. Sabatoging the next day by missing a meal (energy) the night before is not worth it, it's just not! The later you stay up the more you can adjust your eating pattern on your food diary.

You could plan an evening snack of protein/carb and be good to go and your body will thank you for it! PB and sliced apple, cheese with apple, something simple and light but gives you some energy while you're up.

Find out what works for YOU:wink:

Becca:flowerforyou:
  • Journey10
    Journey10 Posts: 3
    Options
    I agree with Becca. Putting your body into starvation mode is a really bad idea. Even when you're sleeping your body is burning calories (energy). If you're eating at 6pm and then again the following morning that is way too long to go without fueling your body. Like Becca said, eat small, sensible snacks several times a day. Helps keep your body properly fueled and helps boost your metabolism.
  • kaittx13
    kaittx13 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    remember calories in and calories out.

If you not going to bed til late and your hungry just make sure your snack is healthy. and drink water that can alwyas help with hunger :)
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    There is no reason not to eat at night. Studies have shown that the advice to not eat at night is not well-founded. They have found that it doesn't matter when you eat it, it's the total calories for the day that count.

That said, some people have issues with binge eating at night. Those people find it's better just to make a rule not to eat past a certain time of day. But that's a special case because it's dealing with emotional eating.
  • canstey
    canstey Posts: 118
    Options
    I posted this in another thread on the topic.

It does not matter when you eat your calories or how many meals it takes. The "Don't eat after X pm or you will gain weight" is a myth that keeps on going and going. Calories are calories regardless of how and when they are consumed and studies show this. Now individuals may have problems if they eat late such as making sleep difficult or uncomfortable due to digestive issues in a prone position but it does not affect weight loss/gain. Going long stints without eating (intermittent fasting) can increase the likelyhood of binge eating but that depends on the person.
  • nanubr
    nanubr Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    You should refuel your body every 4 hrs here some heathy snacks
    5 olives (any kind) (45 calories)
    2 oz Applegate Honey and Maple Turkey Breast wrapped around 2 bread-and-butter pickles (80 calories)
    1/4 cup hummus, 3 carrot sticks (80 calories)
    1 Laughing Cow Light Swiss Original wedge, 3 pieces Kavli Crispy Thin (85 calories)
    Nuts are always a good idea too!!!
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    a lot of those people are also in bed by 10 :) I eat dinner between 7 and 9 and go to sleep between 11 and 12. If I'm starving late I might eat something light just so I don't sleep miserably.
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    I found that I sleep better with something light in my stomach. I will eat a snack 1-2 hours before bed. Usually it is a bowl of bran cereal and a hard boiled egg (sometimes just the white). The added fiber has the desired effect the next morning :smile: