Exercise Calculations

Options
Help! Last week, I turned on the negative calorie adjustment. Since then, my exercise calories are all over the board. For example, last week on one day I ran 2.5 miles and later that day, walked approx 3 miles. MFP logged my whole exercise category as -446. The overly negative tracking happened for about 5 days in a row. I disconnected and reconnected my FitBit and now for the past few days it's OVER estimating exercise calories. On Saturday, I did Yoga and walked a total of 8400 steps - MFP is saying my exercise is +1830 calories! What is going on? I see many posts about exercise tracking but nothing ever seems to explain what is happening or how to fix it. Is there a glitch somewhere?

Replies

• PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,633 Member
    edited March 18
    Options
    Your first connection was probably correct your second probably isn't

Once you connect your Fitbit your exercise adjustment no longer refers to any specific exercise.

It is just accounting between MFP and Fitbit such that MFP will show the same calories spent as Fitbit at midnight, the end of the day.

It is normal progression because of how they each allocate calories during the day to start the day with a large negative adjustment, reach parity with MFP calories (0 adjustment) and then surpass it with a positive adjustment as you're active during the day and slowly start losing some of that positive adjustment as you approach midnight if you're less active later at night

MFP splits calories equally throughout the1440 minutes in a day and night. Fitbit shows calories as they accrue when it detects that you are expending them.

Your first scenario sounds correct
    Your current connection doesn't

All you can do is disconnect Fitbit from MFP on the phone and on the web. Log out of MFP on both.
    Wait.
    Hours, possibly a day without reconnecting.

Login to MFP on web with phone not logged in.
    Reconnect using the old fashioned reliable web integration connection to Fitbit.
    Wait at least a few hours.
    Login to the phone app a few hours later.
    Hope you see things updating as expected the next day.

Or get support involved to see if they have a guide you can use 🤷‍♂️