Adding foods if barcode doesn't work

Options
kateyh1985
kateyh1985 Posts: 1 Member
Can anyone help? Just started Monday and it's been ok
One food tonight wasn't recognised so filling in the Info but wasn't sure what amounts to fill in.....when it asks calories,fat etc. Is that per serving, the whole lot, per 100g? I tried but it said that doesn't sound right

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,495 Member
    Options
    kateyh1985 wrote: »
    Can anyone help? Just started Monday and it's been ok
    One food tonight wasn't recognised so filling in the Info but wasn't sure what amounts to fill in.....when it asks calories,fat etc. Is that per serving, the whole lot, per 100g? I tried but it said that doesn't sound right

Use the information from the package, including the serving size. In the US, the serving size is often both a volume or count, and a weight. Where that's the case, put the weight in MFP (grams or ounces). Fluid ounces or milliliters are also reasonable, if that's what the label says.

The nutrients on US labels are usually per serving. Sometimes they have both per serving and per package. In that case, I'd use per serving nutrition. But as long as the nutrients you list match up the serving size you enter, that's fine.

If you don't find a food by scanning, consider looking it up by typing in the manufacturer and product names and searching. It's fairly unusual NOT to find an accurate entry already in the database, though it will frequently be amongst other inaccurate entries.
  • Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    Enter the full info from the package, if no suitable existing entry already exists in MFP. Then when you add to your diary, it's going to be X grams of that, or X% of a container of that, etc.

After this, it gets easier, since it's remembered for you. Also you can save your meal as well, to easily paste it into a future day.

Or if it's an infrequent food, save time by having a private food entry for 100 calories with whatever dummy macros you want, and enter that into your diary as 2 of that, or 0.5 of that, or whatever.