Cutting Out Sugar

Options
It's no secret that cutting out sugar, especially refined sugar, is beneficial for weight loss and overall health. In the last three days (going on four), I have made an extra-conscious effort to limit my sugar intake. I've even reduced portion sizes of other carbs. What surprises me is how drastic and immediate the effect has been! Literally 3 pounds in 3 days. And I thought with the restriction, I would be screaming for cake by today...and I'm not. My overall appetite feels more under control as well.

Now that the weather is warming up again, the next test will be when I start going on 2+ hour walks; or 25+ mile bike rides. Times when I know I'll need the extra fuel...yes, carbs. I loves me gummi bears! So here's to success...and not screwing it up!

Replies

• xbowhunter
    xbowhunter Posts: 988 Member
    Options
    You are off to a great start! :)
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,923 Member
    Options
    That's mostly water weight but yeah, you feeling better and having more control and not craving food in general is normal when removing a lot of carbs. It's the satiety that makes this happen but for you too continue to lose weight your going to have to be in a deficit so I would wait for 2 or 3 weeks to assess whether this is working for weight loss, generally and I do mean most of the time, that is the case. good on you, I'm low carb, so I have a bias for this way of eating, but the proof is in the pudding as they say. :)
  • VegjoyP
    VegjoyP Posts: 2,715 Member
    Options
    I completely agree that not having ADDED sugar is excellent for health, weight control, feeling full and health. For many it is an addiction or leads to a constant cycle. Cutting our or reducing refined carbs, processed foods and additives is a great way to improve overall wellness. I'm happy you are feeling good!
    However, " carbs" are NOT THE ENEMY. All vegetables contain carbs. Sprouted grains, legumes and sweet potatoes are carbs. People thrive with vitality and abundance with lifestyles centering on complex carbs, fiber and fruits. Good carbs give us fuel for energy, fill iis up, help our microbiome. Some do better with a higher or lower ratio of nutrients. But the notion of eliminating an entire macro is really not the best and cannactually be harmful and unsustainable long term. Athletes expecially.
    It is fantastic to see someone have wonderful positive results and motivation do do what works and continue to see how you feel. 😀 remember we can change. It Isa journey, not a destination 🙂
  • lisakatz2
    lisakatz2 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I have a terrible sweet tooth (cake/pastries, cookies, candy) but I found that increasing both my proteins and healthy fats (avocado, nuts) have quelched my cravings. For lunch I had turkey meatloaf, mixed green salad with homemade dressing (ruby red grapefruit juice, garlic, spices, vinegar, EVOO). I didn't feel like having sweets at all after that. Other foods I ate include (for breakfast) 1/2 cup of steel cut oats, cooked and a 5 oz container of Fage Low Fat Greek Yogurt. I ate an orange as a snack. For dinner I'm going to have a breaded pork chop and mixed vegetables (corn, peas, carrots).