News Feed

Options
Darlene_Oregon
Darlene_Oregon Posts: 147 Member
edited March 22 in Getting Started
When I post something on my News Feed, "What's on your mind?", who sees that post? Just friends? Sorry, I'm new to this.

Answers

• Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,223 Member
    Options
    Depends on your privacy settings I think: friends and potentially other people visiting your MFP profile page.
  • Darlene_Oregon
    Options
    Thanks, I'll try to check my settings.
  • Darlene_Oregon
    Options
    I didn't see anything in privacy settings. Still confused!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,645 Member
    Options
    I didn't see anything in privacy settings. Still confused!

In web MFP, it's in the Home tab, Settings sub-tab, Diary Settings, then way at the bottom of the Diary Settings page:

xzq439i0b0n0.jpg

In the phone/tablet app (Android version, probably also Apple), it's in the More menu that's at the lower right of the dashboard, then click Settings, then Diary Settings, then Diary Sharing.

pjdy7yila0vq.png

• Darlene_Oregon
    Options
    @AnnPT77 - Thanks. I already have my food diary set up for friends only. But if I enter something in "What's on your mind", who sees that? Where does it go?
    What If I just want to report weight loss or something? Do I enter it in "What's on your mind"? Or, do I have to start a new discussion?
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    I'm sorry, Darlene - my brain skipped a track there. Apologies!

I think it's Settings/Privacy Settings/Profile viewable by that controls how much of the feed shows to whom.

pqyqyuzuyw99.jpg

I'm not sure where that is in the app, but the privacy settings there or on the web can control what's posted on your timeline automagically in the first place.
  • Darlene_Oregon
    Options
    Hi Ann,
    I do have my privacy settings set to MFP members only. But, on my News Feed (I guess that's my timeline), I only see what my few friends post. I have very little experience with social media. So, it's a bit confusing to me.
    Oh well! I guess I won't worry about it for now.
    Thanks!
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    Your settings control what you display to others. Others' settings control what they display to you, on your News Feed/timeline or elsewhere. I believe the News Feed or timeline is inherently just MFP friends' posts (and MFP's official ones). News Feed is the thing labeled as such in the phone/tablet app, or the My Home tab/Home sub-tab in web MFP. Timeline is the thing you get if you click on your avatar in the phone/tablet app, then click "My Posts", or My Home tab/Profile sub-tab in web MFP.

At least that's how I understand it.

Sometimes people want to control whether they see friends' routine diary completion or weigh-in posts or whatever. Generally, I don't think we can control that: They control it.

• Darlene_Oregon
    Options
    I understand for the most part. I never see weigh-in posts in the News Feed. But I guess you can add that if you like. BTW, I am using the web version.
    Thanks, Darlene