Got a suggestion on how to improve MyFitnessPal? Share it in this category or vote to tell us what you think of other people’s suggestions. Please be sure to review the Feature Suggestion submissions guidelines.

Glycemic index (GI)/glycemic load (GL)

Options
Glycemic index (GI)/Glycemic load (GL) Integration into the app would be extremely beneficial and enhance user experience. PLEASE integrate this feature.
2 votes

Active · Last Updated

Replies

• COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    People don’t even fill in the existing fields in the database entries, I doubt seriously they’d leave the site and research GI impact for an entry. This is a crowdsourced database, MFP staff have nothing to do with the individual entries.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,085 Member
    Options
    In addition to @COGypsy's observation, which is IMO accurate, there's another complicating factor.

Effective GI and GL are about the overall composition of a mixed meal/snack, not just about the GI/GL of an individual component food. I'm sure you're familiar with the idea that the effective GI/GL of a food with X grams of sugar differs depending on the amount of fiber in the food. The more generalized version of this is that it matters what combination of foods you eat in one sitting.

On top of that, blood sugar level response to foods is somewhat individual. Some foods spike some people's blood sugar, but the same foods don't cause spikes for others . . . even among people who are all insulin resistant or even diabetic. It's complicated, and somewhat individual.

GI/GL may be useful data points to a limited extent, but I agree with COGypsy that getting accurate data to populate that would be challenging in the MFP environment. I also think it would have less usefulness than might appear at first glance.
  • Adventurista
    Adventurista Posts: 378 Member
    edited March 24
    Options
    Think it would be helpful. Still have medical professionals actively recommending it.

-- people entering their own foods could include it, and presumably could be included in the reports.