Caffeine

Options
So two of the personal trainers at the gym were talking to my friend and I and the one said that if you drink caffeine about half hour before you work out (she recommended half a can of regular Coke) that it will somehow intensify your workout and you will end up burning far more calories than without it. The second trainer agreed, but said you should get the caffeine from a cup of coffee because you should never drink pop. Is there any truth to this?

Replies

• Becka77
    Becka77 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I had a trainer tell me that too, but don't know how legit it is.
  • utes09
    utes09 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I read something about this earlier but now I can't find it.
  • Ashl3yS
    Ashl3yS Posts: 64
    Options
    Well I suppose this is answering my own question but I just Googled it and thought I'd post what I found incase anyone else was wondering.

http://www.fitconnect.com/fitness-tips/Ferrari/Caffeine-Right-Before-Exercising-Assists-in-Fat-Loss--
  • StarryEyedGirl
    Options
    Celius energy drink claims this as well! if you are caffiene sensitive as I am only drink half the can the first time and not at 3 pm.... I was up until 4 am!

I really enjoyed the energy from this drink but didn't want to make a habit. try it... no crash either
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I've heard that caffeine can give your HRM a false reading due to your heart beating faster than usual due to the rush or whatever you wanna call it and then you get a reading of a higher # of calories burned but it's not really due to higher intensity or a better workout so it really doesn't count.

I have no idea what is true or not. I tend to drink caffeine when I want it and in whatever form I feel like, but not always daily or before a workout.