Protein food

Options
Hi, I'm on 1690 calories a day.
Looking for some alternatives food, high in protein and fiber, any advice?

Answers

• Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,115 Member
    Options
    Protein and fiber aren't usually found together, except in beans and pulses.

But this spreadsheet should help you for both high protein and high fiber foods: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10247171/carbs-and-fats-are-cheap-heres-a-guide-to-getting-your-proteins-worth-fiber-also/p1
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,959 Member
    Options
    @Lietchi
    Protein and fiber aren't usually found together

....whole grains, nuts, some vegetables ...granted the macro percentages aren't balanced, but I get quite a bit of my daily protein from whole grains and nuts.
  • MichelleMcKeeRN
    MichelleMcKeeRN Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    There are lots of ways to make meal prep bowls. Have you given them a try?

Example:
    Warm base: grilled chicken w/ Mexican style seasoning, refried beans, brown rice
    Cool toppings: chopped lettuce, pico de gallo, chopped bell peppers, avocado, etc
  • Niki2466
    Niki2466 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    A lot of healthy proteins have larger amounts of calories so it’s hard to juggle more protein and less calories. Ie I ate 2 hard boiled eggs and they put me over my calorie count….doesn’t feel fair🤣 I’m trying to stay below 1200 calories and it takes a lot of planning and effort so I feel you!

I find spinach and celery add a lot of fibre and can help make you feel fuller longer. Protein i use a lot of beans and eggs. I add these to many of my meals. My kids really don’t notice when I cook it into things.
    For an example taco night; I substitute half the ground beef for black beans for the hubby and kids who need the fat and mine is all black beans, both also get spinach cooked right in with the mix (they don’t get to pick it out🤣) then of course mine is lettuce wrapped with minimal sauce.

Another family favourite is curry’s. again I add in spinach, cauliflower and chickpeas. Keeps the fiber and proteins up without adding fat.

Hummus is a great source of protein so I often use it with sides or dips or instead of a dressing. Hummus dressing is basically take your hummus and add in some vinegar or lemon juice.

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    Lietchi wrote: »
    Protein and fiber aren't usually found together, except in beans and pulses.

But this spreadsheet should help you for both high protein and high fiber foods: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10247171/carbs-and-fats-are-cheap-heres-a-guide-to-getting-your-proteins-worth-fiber-also/p1

Do check out the spreadsheet ^

Since I'm an omnivore, I look to meat and dairy for protein. For fiber, I start with beans and then plan to eat higher fiber foods throughout the day, ex: Nature's Path Cereal - Heritage Flakes, chia seeds, berries, Dave's bread, etc.

While nuts do have some protein, they are much higher in fat, which adds a lot of calories. It's more accurate to think of them as a fat source. I think of them as a yumminess source :lol:
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,624 Member
    Options
    Beans.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,919 Member
    Options
    The more fiber consumed with it's protein the less that protein is absorbed and the need to consume more, a lot more. Research is your friend. For example a DIAAS score (Digestible Indispensable Amino Acid Score) for beef is in and around a 1.15, basically over 100% and wheat for example is 0.40 or so. The lower score is due to wheat’s lower digestibility and its amino acid profile, which is less aligned with human requirements, I means we are legs, arms, lungs and heart and not seeds, stems, flowers or leaves. A pretty basic concept that doesn't get talked about through the normal channels, we can only speculate why that might be. :)
  • Hobartlemagne
    Hobartlemagne Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Peanuts with the shells still on.

Seriously- beans are good. High fiber, good protein. Lots of variety in cooking possibilities.