Can overdoing it on cholesterol make you gain weight?

Options
standout00
standout00 Posts: 123 Member
edited March 25 in Food and Nutrition
On 25/03/24 I did 431 mg of cholesterol and gained 100 g more overnight. Is it because of that reason, or is it because I did something else wrong?
I also exercised Saturday last week.

Answers

• rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,122 Member
    Options
    In short, no. Frankly, 100 grams overnight is not something you should even be concerned about. Weight will naturally fluctuate by 400 to 1000 grams as a normal thing. That 100 grams could be water, could be food in your digestive track, could be the error amount of the scale as I doubt it is a precise or consistent as you might think. Since you exercised, it is far more likely, assuming there is an actual increase and it is not the error range of the scale, that it is water retention to help repair the muscles.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,122 Member
    Options
    That's less than 1 gram of cholesterol. 1 gram of fat is 9 calories.
    So no, it has nothing to do with that.
    Our bodyweight fluctuaties daily, it's perfectly normal and 100gr is a very small fluctuation too.
    Look at the long term trend of your weight (at least one month/menstrual cycle) to determine your true weight trend.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    You are going to drive yourself completely batty if you start monitoring your weight daily and fretting about what you ate the day before and what it's done to the scale. It just doesn't work that way. Weight fluctuates, no one thing that you eat is going to be solely responsible for an up or a down on the scale, and digestion and processing doesn't just happen instantly overnight.

Watch your weight trend over a period of weeks, not days, and try not to major in the minors.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,924 Member
    edited March 26
    Options
    TDEE is difficult to measure accurately without specialized equipment, let alone being accurate on the caloric effect of any particular nutrient. It's all just guess work for the most part anyway but focusing in on 100g's of a particular nutrient, that is never going to be accurate, ever, just stick with the overall calories where it makes you feel like you've got it all figured out when you're losing a few more lbs and you won't feel so inclined to try and figure out if cholesterol is the bad guy here, that kind of mind set can really mess with you, and this is probably as good an example as any.