Need to Lose weight yesterday!

Options
Hello all,

So I am having a huge issue trying to lose weight! 6 years ago I moved to Vermont and I lost 85 lbs when I first arrived. Having to walk Everywhere and not being able to afford to eat and having a new love in my life are big contributions! Then COVID happened and major depression and I gained back the 85 lbs ++!! 🫣 I lost a few and gained more since then. No matter what I do I can't lose the weight and I'm gaining more. Now I'm 43, 5'3" &270 lbs!!! 😢😢😢 My doctor was going to start me on Ozempic or something of that nature then she pulled some BS and wanted me to go to the nutritionist and pharmacist, so I did and nothing has come out of it! I've taken other medications to help with weight loss like Wellbutrin, Metformin, Topamax... I need help! Not to mention all the health issues I have now because of the weight gain; my knees and lower back are Always killing me! My feet and "Kankles" and legs are like huge tree trunks!!! I look horrible and feel worse! My face is constantly breaking out with these huge boulders under my skin! And they hurt. My Fupa is so big it's pulling on my back and makes it hard for me to do other things!I want my life and body back! Stick a fork in me cuz I'm just... DONE! 🤢🤮🫣

Replies

• Valentina_2024
    Valentina_2024 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hugs to you. I had a similar experience with losing weight prior to covid then gaining it all back, along with the depression that came with that period of time.

I totally get the knee pain!! My left knee in particular is a killer these days. I’d be happy to friends to motivate or just be an ear to listen. I’m back here trying to lose weight again. It’s all pretty emotional, but this time I really want to get serious about it.

Sent you a friend request and hope you have a great day in the meantime :)
  • sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,604 Member
    Options
    I know it's frustrating. If you're serious about losing the weight you're going to have to start tracking your food and maintaining a calorie deficit. Or, alternatively, doctor shop until you find a doctor willing to write you the prescription you want (whether that's right/wrong or good/bad is up to you. I'm not making any ethics arguments here). Just be aware the prescription can cost around $1000 per month.
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,710 Member
    Options
    Sorry you're struggling, but coming here is a good start! Did you input your stats so that you have a calorie goal for the day? What did the nutritionist say?
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,898 Member
    edited March 26
    Options
    Damn girl, you don't pull any punches, good for you. You've made a good decision by coming here, there's lot of people here that can help with calories counting and making sure your data is imputed properly and will have many anecdotal stories about dietary preferences to pick from.

Personally I don't count calories and went with a lower carb diet and eventually ended up very low carb and ketogenic mostly because of health issues like IBS, arthritis, venturing into insulin resistant territory and hypertension and lost around 60lbs and have maintained that for over a decade along with eliminating all of those health concerns. Basically there's no one way to find weight loss nirvana, just don't get discouraged, that road leads to a place you definitely don't want to find your self in. :)
  • pridesabtch
    pridesabtch Posts: 2,318 Member
    Options
    Ahhhh,.. the yoyo that is depression. Sounds like you are back in the land of the living again and ready to kick things into gear. Now you just gotta buckle down, log and watch the magic happen (sometimes slowly). I've lost and gained and found it hard to get back on board after depressive episodes. Try starting with a mini goal of 5 pounds. Doesn't sound like much in the grand scheme of things, but it is huge! It shows you its possible and it doesn't have to be a miserable experience. Enter your info in the calculator and log honestly. Stay green or close to green and you should see the scale drop. It won't be linear, but it will go down if you follow the MFP plan. Best of luck!
  • Christi6604
    Christi6604 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I feel you. I lost 70 pounds back in 2010 and have gained it all back. I was diagnosed with Fatty Liver and have completely changed my diet. I've been amazed to discover that I've been finally able to lose weight again. I'm doing a strict Mediterranean Diet due to my health condition.

I honestly thought that it was as simple as calories in and calories out, but it wasn't for me. I have to pay more attention to the types of food I'm eating than others. You may have a similar challenge. Might be a good conversation to have with your doctor or a dietician.

This is the guide I'm following. Eating whole foods, red meat very rarely (like, twice a month), mostly veggies, fish and chicken. It's made a big difference.
    https://www.bcm.edu/sites/default/files/a-guide-to-what-and-how-to-eat-non-alcoholic-fatty-liver-disease.pdf
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    tbottisti wrote: »
    Hello all,

So I am having a huge issue trying to lose weight! 6 years ago I moved to Vermont and I lost 85 lbs when I first arrived. Having to walk Everywhere and not being able to afford to eat and having a new love in my life are big contributions! Then COVID happened and major depression and I gained back the 85 lbs ++!! 🫣 I lost a few and gained more since then. No matter what I do I can't lose the weight and I'm gaining more. Now I'm 43, 5'3" &270 lbs!!! 😢😢😢 My doctor was going to start me on Ozempic or something of that nature then she pulled some BS and wanted me to go to the nutritionist and pharmacist, so I did and nothing has come out of it! I've taken other medications to help with weight loss like Wellbutrin, Metformin, Topamax... I need help! Not to mention all the health issues I have now because of the weight gain; my knees and lower back are Always killing me! My feet and "Kankles" and legs are like huge tree trunks!!! I look horrible and feel worse! My face is constantly breaking out with these huge boulders under my skin! And they hurt. My Fupa is so big it's pulling on my back and makes it hard for me to do other things!I want my life and body back! Stick a fork in me cuz I'm just... DONE! 🤢🤮🫣

I take Wellbutrin for depression myself. I must have tried over a dozen other ADs in the past, and it's the only one that works for me. I hope you are getting other treatment for your depression as well. I'm currently doing DBT and I love it. Others speak highly of CBT.

Your doctor's change of direction was not BS. There is a shortage of semaglutides in the US and other countries. Your doctor wanted you to try something else first. It's like I always have to get an x-ray before an MRI is authorized - the x-ray is much cheaper and faster.

So, you tried other things and reported your failure back to your doctor, and what did she say?

Regardless, lots of great suggestions above.
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    So what action(s) are you taking today to lose weight? Lower calories, more movement, etc?
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,430 Member
    Options
    @tbottisti i hope you check back. We hear your frustration, but we don’t have the ability to reach through the phone and give you an instant fat-otomy, yesterday.

We’re here to help, support and give advice, when you’re ready.

It’s up to you to get the ball rolling.