Alkaline Foods

Options
I read an article today about Alkaline Diets & benefits to our health. What’s your opinion on this way of eating in general?

Replies

• sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,604 Member
    Options
    I read an article today about Alkaline Diets & benefits to our health. What’s your opinion on this way of eating in general?

My opinion? Nothing you eat can hold even a slight candle to the incredible acidity of your stomach acid. All the food that goes through your stomach, no matter how alkaline it may be, comes out as an acidic mix of chyme. Furthermore, your body so tightly regulates your PH, that if it *could* be changed by food, you would die. So thankfully, no, they can't. That being said, many foods that happen to be alkaline (such as many vegetables) also happen to be quite healthy. But so are many foods that are acidic (such as many fruits).
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,898 Member
    Options
    Just to add: When food is mobilized from the stomach which is acidic and on the pH scale of around 1.5 or there abouts and as that food reaches our small intestines the acidity is neutralized to a more basic level of 7.3-7.4 from the secretion of bicarbonate from the pancreas which is essential for proper digestion and absorption of nutrients.