Anyone tried Callanetics?

Options
The old 80's / early 90's big hair, shiny leotard type VHS / book thing by Callan Pickney? I've heard some good results and am getting a little bored doing the same 30DS and other DVD's I have so am going to try it.

I picked it up on Amazon, it's on DVD but it's her original 10 years younger in 10 hours. This is what her website says about it:

"Callan Pinckney started an exercise revolution in the 1980’s with her introduction of The Callanetics Exercise Method. This very personalized and unique form of exercise utilizes precise positioning to isolate specific muscle groups and then by using tiny yet powerful movements which cause the muscles to work even deeper requiring more muscle fibers to be recruited. More muscle fibers recruited means quicker toning and results you can feel in one hour and see in as little as two! Each muscle group is warmed, worked and then stretched to ensure total body health increasing strength, flexibility and endurance"

Might be rubbish but I've read quite a lot of reviews online that give it a thumbs up. I don't think it burns a lot of calories so will keep up with my running couch to 5k two or three times a week and do this for 2 hours which is the recommended.

Just wondered if anyone on here had used this, recently or when it first came out, and what your results were?

Replies

• SadFaerie
    SadFaerie Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I sometimes do that as a stretching routine. It's not a bad program overall, a bit like a lighter version of pilates. Good for mobility and flexibility, I remember when I was once doing it every day for about a month I was waaaay more flexible than I usually am.
  • kholcomb51
    kholcomb51 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I have the DVD. I haven't done it in a while (year or two), but I remember it being pretty difficult at first to get fully into some of the stretches, and that it would feel really good after. And like sadfaerie I felt myself getting more flexible. Unfortunately, I don't think it made me 10 years younger. (;
  • Faery_Dust
    Faery_Dust Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your replies guys. Figure it's worth a go. But yeah.... 10 years younger in 10 sessions....... unless it magically sorts these crows feet fine lines around my eyes I can't see it lol.
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    My mom used to do it in the 80s and I used to use her VHS in high school and later. It's fantastic for stretching (as others said).
  • Fitfully_me
    Fitfully_me Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    There are a few people floating around that do. I've seen a few threads about it here and there.
  • icansee40
    Options
    I've done Callanetics and have an old book with the routine in it as well as a couple of the dvds. I agree that it does get results. It's a lot like some of the barre workouts that are popular now. Very good in giving the appearance of a longer, leaner self.
  • sweetbippy
    sweetbippy Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    20 some years ago I used to get up at 5:30 in the am to do that DVD before work. The nicest weight related compliment I ever received was during that time. A woman told me I was skinnier every time she saw me, and I did feel quite svelte. I think it's very effective done regularly. Like stated above, I don't think it will make you 10 years younger, but it might just, as promised, make your butt look like a peach! :wink:
  • Faery_Dust
    Faery_Dust Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I'll post back on here once I have done a couple of work outs and see how it goes.
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Did it in the early 90's after my first baby - was very effective for getting back in shape!
  • digbybebe
    digbybebe Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I have both callanetics and supercallanetics. The original tonesbut I didntnotice real weight loss. When you do it a lot of the exercises seem ok....but god it hurts a day or two after! Supercallanetics is harder...some bits seem almost impossible...the women are super flexy and strong...they make it look so easy but its hard...really hard. But certainly worth including in themix for some variety...certainly different from 30ds!!
  • roqnroch
    roqnroch Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    how would one log callenetics into myfitnesspal? any suggestions? i've been doing the "10 in 10" video this week. its so funny how 80s it is, but i am so sore the next day that it must be doing something.
  • k8eekins
    k8eekins Posts: 2,264 Member
    Options
    The old 80's / early 90's big hair, shiny leotard type VHS / book thing by Callan Pickney? I've heard some good results and am getting a little bored doing the same 30DS and other DVD's I have so am going to try it.

I picked it up on Amazon, it's on DVD but it's her original 10 years younger in 10 hours. This is what her website says about it:

"Callan Pinckney started an exercise revolution in the 1980’s with her introduction of The Callanetics Exercise Method. This very personalized and unique form of exercise utilizes precise positioning to isolate specific muscle groups and then by using tiny yet powerful movements which cause the muscles to work even deeper requiring more muscle fibers to be recruited. More muscle fibers recruited means quicker toning and results you can feel in one hour and see in as little as two! Each muscle group is warmed, worked and then stretched to ensure total body health increasing strength, flexibility and endurance"

Might be rubbish but I've read quite a lot of reviews online that give it a thumbs up. I don't think it burns a lot of calories so will keep up with my running couch to 5k two or three times a week and do this for 2 hours which is the recommended.

Just wondered if anyone on here had used this, recently or when it first came out, and what your results were?

Was first introduced to it as a child in the 80s as my go-to stretching option before my core workout drills/routines and to this day, I'd inculcate Callanetics (and Alexander Technique) throughout my freestyle warmups to rid my body of a kink, depending.

Personally, I'd like to believe it "sculpted" my form; Feminised it.