Hello from North East England ,

Options
I have been here before but never really stuck it out … 😖 but now I really have to ! I am almost 18 stone ! And struggling to walk ( for a number of reasons not just cos I’m chunky 😂) so desperate to do something about this !
I would love to have a small group of comrades to share our experiences as I get a little overwhelmed with the posting systems and sheer volumes on here ,
I’m mid fifties from north east England , I have a few health issues, main one ehlers danlos , it’s a joint thing ( yep boring 🤣) I have a little dog , Im into mindfulness ( it’s helped me focus ) , I like to think I know quite a lot about basic healthy eating but crave unhelpful snacks … I’m really interested in the psychology of over eating
I would love a couple of fitness pal friends 😊

Replies

• ddsb1111
    ddsb1111 Posts: 842 Member
    edited March 29
    Options
    Hi, and welcome! I had to look up Northeast England and saw it was 3,350 sq mi (8,676 km2). I tried to find a state to compare it to in size and the closest I found was a ranch in Montana! You gotta love the internet sometimes, the things you learn, and the rabbit holes you find yourself in. But I’m happy to discover what a beautiful area you live in! Absolutely gorgeous 😍.

In terms of your health, losing mobility is no fun, I’m sorry to hear that. It’s certainly a wake up call and you’ve come to the right place to learn how to make real lasting changes.

Mindfulness is a superpower IMO, it can benefit every aspect of our life. Use this to make decisions based on satiation and enjoyment. Food is a joy we should be harnessing, and not used as a punishment. Essentially, there is no Good and Bad food. There’s just mindfulness and choices.

If you eat in your calorie goal, and you stay consistent, you’ll reach a healthy weight. If you eat all your calories by 12pm then you’re not choosing your calories wisely. Make sure you are able to spread them out and feel satisfied, while enjoying your meals.

People tend to over eat hyper-palatable foods. It’s a good idea to problem solve that in advance. Do you need to portion them out so you only eat what is in the pack? Do you need to keep them out of the house for a while, only having them on special occasions? I don’t ever hear people say they over eat broccoli.

At the end of the day, try to stay away from all the misinformation on diets and making it more complicated than it is. We often say here- the winner is the person who eats the best (all their calories AND good food) and loses weight. It’s not a race, so you might as well enjoy the process and reach your goal at the same time.
  • Zebra_Aitch
    Zebra_Aitch Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Hello there ! Thankyou for the welcome and comments, I’m very lucky to have access to lovely countryside and one of my aims is to be able to have more walks . Yes the amount of information gets overwhelming at times for me ! So keeping it simple is great advice 😊
    I definitely ate a lot of broccoli with my salmon last night to try to fill me up as I crave nightly snacks ! I know I need to keep some types of snacks out of the house and people have been instructed not to fetch me any !
    I wish I could enjoy the process more … hopefully I will find it easier being on here 😊
    Best wishes
  • ByeByeToDiabetes
    ByeByeToDiabetes Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Hello future friend :-)

I am here to stay. I have to. I posted today an introduction (a novel) about my present diabetes diagnosis. I have 100+ American pounds to lose. I am not sure how much that is in stones, but I assume it's a pile. I will send you a friend request because I figured out how to do this.
  • Zebra_Aitch
    Zebra_Aitch Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Hello , thanks for your comment , I saw the friend request and then it disappeared!, I am finding the website very glitchy. Please could you send me it again ! I love how you sound so motivated and determined to improve your situation. Well done. Hopefully we can inspire each other to carry on with a healthier lifestyle. 💪😊 H